Merc 4S 115 hp 6 Beeps Turning Key to On Position

S/N BUJ49721D909 2009 Nitro X-5.Ruined my Sunday morning visit to the lake after a 1 month hiatus... got to launch and eased down in the water enough to submerge lower unit and counted 7 beeps when I turned the key to "on" position. Past experience has told me there was something wrong with the # of beeps. Nonetheless, I tried to crank after the prime routine and it would not crank. So back home now and started to google things and found that 6 beeps has to do with ECM, TPS or MAP sensor when putting key in on position. I had noticed over the past 8-10 trips that the engine was slow to fire.. engine runs fine when it does. I do crank with a 100 ah ionic battery and it has been flawless over the past 3 years and am very happy with it...never needs a charge. My vesselview module was unable to generate a fault...I guess because the engine was not running. Am I headed to a service center with this diagnosis?THX!

2. Member
    low oil is 6 beeps I believe. but I would think it would still start up unless it is in gaurdian mode something like that.
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G48 View Post
    S/N BUJ49721D909 2009 Nitro X-5.Ruined my Sunday morning visit to the lake after a 1 month hiatus... got to launch and eased down in the water enough to submerge lower unit and counted 7 beeps when I turned the key to "on" position. Past experience has told me there was something wrong with the # of beeps. Nonetheless, I tried to crank after the prime routine and it would not crank. So back home now and started to google things and found that 6 beeps has to do with ECM, TPS or MAP sensor when putting key in on position. I had noticed over the past 8-10 trips that the engine was slow to fire.. engine runs fine when it does. I do crank with a 100 ah ionic battery and it has been flawless over the past 3 years and am very happy with it...never needs a charge. My vesselview module was unable to generate a fault...I guess because the engine was not running. Am I headed to a service center with this diagnosis?THX!
    Your comment never needs a charge stood out to me. Something easy to check and should not cost you anything is battery. You could try another GOOD battery! Charge your battery.....I assume you have appropriate charger. Parallel another good battery.......you get the idea.......low battery could be your problem.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Your comment never needs a charge stood out to me. Something easy to check and should not cost you anything is battery. You could try another GOOD battery! Charge your battery.....I assume you have appropriate charger. Parallel another good battery.......you get the idea.......low battery could be your problem.
    Alternator keeps that lithium at 99% charged basically all the time..I use a dedicated 100 ah lithium for all my electronics so very little pull except when coming home and I am running the recirculate on the live well. It drew down to 94% this morning after all the grinding. Plenty of juice to crank with. After 3 years, it still hasn't seen a charger.

5. Member
    Update guys..just went to double troubleshoot and turned the key on and my vesselview finally showed the fault (why just now instead of at the launch I have no clue) CHECK YOUR LANYARD..it said..so I did a lo and behold it was not in the run position..Turns out the wifey shop vacked the boat for me yesterday and the extension she was using ran over the switch close enough to flip it down. Put it on the muffs...fired right up. I know I only visit here when my hair is on fire or researching other posts related to my issues ..I'm usually hanging in HB sonar forum but I just want to say I appreciate the responses when I do post...GREAT FORUM!!

6. Member
    Update guys..just went to double troubleshoot and turned the key on and my vesselview finally showed the fault (why just now instead of at the launch I have no clue) CHECK YOUR LANYARD..it said..so I did a lo and behold it was not in the run position..Turns out the wifey shop vacked the boat for me yesterday and the extension she was using ran over the switch close enough to flip it down. Put it on the muffs...fired right up. I know I only visit here when my hair is on fire or researching other posts related to my issues ..I'm usually hanging in HB sonar forum but I just want to say I appreciate the responses when I do post...GREAT FORUM!!
    Been there before man, it's a good feeling when it is something as simple as that though. Glad it's all good!!
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VA Bass View Post
    Been there before man, it's a good feeling when it is something as simple as that though. Glad it's all good!!
    U ain't kiddin' Just left 1k at the shop 2mos ago.. just waddunt in the mood for another bill!!