Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Learnin' Mega Live - Boat Icon, Dynamic Contrast & Transducer Angle in Forward Mode

Hey there Fishin' Friends!

I'm learning the Mega Live. Read a lot on BBC. Watched a ton of YT vids. Still have these questions/issues:

1) Boat Icon - Calling it erratic would be a compliment! I've checked my HB GPS Heading Sensor/Compass and compared the heading with GPS COG. They're dialed. But more often than not, the icon indicates that I'm pointing the Mega Live 90-180 degrees from where I'm actually pointing it - esp. in Landscape Mode. I've read about others having the same issue. Any solutions out there?

2) Dynamic Contrast - The 1.150 update is pretty emphatic about Sens: 15; Contrast: 1 and Dynamic Contrast 1. The first two seem about right. But i get fairly terrible results in anything other than Dynamic Contrast 2. Anyone else?

3) Transducer Angle in Forward Mode - Most of what I've read/watched says 40 or 60 are the go-to. Wondering if there are any strong opinions out there?

I've really only put a few hours into actually using the Mega Live. But thus far I'd give it a B-. Frankly, I was hoping for more.

Thanks in advance for your input!

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Here are my thoughts:

1) Check your Port/Starboard Mega Live installation settings. It sounds like you have it set wrong.

2) Yes, the Dynamic Contrast settings are a little wonky with the 1.150 update. The "1" setting is actually stronger than the "2" setting, which I don't think was the case before. "1" definitely gives the strongest return (for things like lure tracking) but "2" seems to provide a more realistic return in terms of contrast settings. I would guess that this would be corrected in the next round of control head updates. It has been 8 months since the last updates for Helix/Solix/Apex so I would think that an update is just around the corner.

3) I haven't used Forward Mode very much but did do some testing with the angles and the angle you need to use is definitely dependant on the depth of the water you are fishing. The shallower, the higher the degree setting (less angled).

In addition to control head updates, I would also expect more rounds of Mega Live updates and there should be improvements in each one. Bottom Line, it's still a work in progress.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Here are my thoughts:

1) Check your Port/Starboard Mega Live installation settings. It sounds like you have it set wrong.

2) Yes, the Dynamic Contrast settings are a little wonky with the 1.150 update. The "1" setting is actually stronger than the "2" setting, which I don't think was the case before. "1" definitely gives the strongest return (for things like lure tracking) but "2" seems to provide a more realistic return in terms of contrast settings. I would guess that this would be corrected in the next round of control head updates. It has been 8 months since the last updates for Helix/Solix/Apex so I would think that an update is just around the corner.

3) I haven't used Forward Mode very much but did do some testing with the angles and the angle you need to use is definitely dependant on the depth of the water you are fishing. The shallower, the higher the degree setting (less angled).

In addition to control head updates, I would also expect more rounds of Mega Live updates and there should be improvements in each one. Bottom Line, it's still a work in progress.
    Thanks Steve.

I did check and double-check the port and starboard settings as that was one of the first troubleshooting steps that popped to mind. I have it installed on starboard. The setting is set to starboard. So, unfortunately, that ain't it!

BTW, your videos were among the ones I watched on YT to climb the learning curve. They're EXCELLENT. I only wish I as more of a troller!

4. Member
    I run the following:

Sensitivity 13
    Contrast 1
    Dynamic Contrast 2
    Down on Auto unless shallow water.
    Forward 80ft

Color pallet 11

I love these settings.

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    One other thought on number 1 is possible magnetic interference on the heading sensor. That would definitely cause the boat icon to go wonky as it calculates the Mega Live position in relationship to the heading sensor. Have you checked the heading sensor installation area with a compass?
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

6. Banned
    One other thought on number 1 is possible magnetic interference on the heading sensor. That would definitely cause the boat icon to go wonky as it calculates the Mega Live position in relationship to the heading sensor. Have you checked the heading sensor installation area with a compass?
    Have I checked my heading sensor against a compass? No. But I have checked the heading sensor vs. GPS COG and they're nearly identical. They vary - of course - but almost never more than 2 degree apart.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnghtshdow View Post
    I run the following:

Sensitivity 13
    Contrast 1
    Dynamic Contrast 2
    Down on Auto unless shallow water.
    Forward 80ft

Color pallet 11

I love these settings.
    Everything makes sense to me other than "Down on Auto unless shallow water" and "Forward 80ft". How can you be running Down AND Auto? Did you mean to write "Down OR Auto"?

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brimster View Post
    Have I checked my heading sensor against a compass? No. But I have checked the heading sensor vs. GPS COG and they're nearly identical. They vary - of course - but almost never more than 2 degree apart.
    GPS and Heading have zero to do with each other... except the fact that they are both ways of capturing direction. GPS is satellite based and Heading is magnetic compass based. One can work fine and the other can be off. If you have it close to a Trolling Motor or your big engine, it could be getting electromagnetic interference and cause the strange Mega Live boat icon issues you are having.

9. Banned
    GPS and Heading have zero to do with each other... except the fact that they are both ways of capturing direction. GPS is satellite based and Heading is magnetic compass based. One can work fine and the other can be off. If you have it close to a Trolling Motor or your big engine, it could be getting electromagnetic interference and cause the strange Mega Live boat icon issues you are having.
    Right. They're both ways of capturing direction. If the heading matches the GPS COG they're either both right or there is a nearly impossible coincidence, right

I did this:

Screenshot 2022-05-15 11.00.37 PM.png

10. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Right. They're both ways of capturing direction. If the heading matches the GPS COG they're either both right or there is a nearly impossible coincidence, right

I did this:

Screenshot 2022-05-15 11.00.37 PM.png
    The only other thing I can think of then is that something is "off" with AHRS in the Mega Live. Is it possible that there is some electromagnetic interference going on at the Mega Live unit itself?

The other possibility is that the AHRS chip in the Mega Live itself is bad.

11. Banned
    The only other thing I can think of then is that something is "off" with AHRS in the Mega Live. Is it possible that there is some electromagnetic interference going on at the Mega Live unit itself?

The other possibility is that the AHRS chip in the Mega Live itself is bad.
    Your help is so fantastic and appreciated Steve. Only wish you were my next-door neighbor! ;-)

Your thought about the AHRS is a good one. In fact, I was researching that last night myself. The manual reads as follows:

"Set AHRS to Off, On or On Pitch and Roll. Turn AHRS ON to automatically select theorientation of the transducer (Down, Forward, or Landscape). Select On Pitch and Roll tostabilize the bottom on your sonar returns."

I have it set to on/pitch & roll. However, I have been manually setting my transducer orientation. I'm wondering if that's the error. Perhaps I need to have that set to auto for the boat icon to display properly? I don't know why that would be the case as I would think that manually setting the transducer orientation would be even more precise than the auto setting. But I've been wrong before (a lot).

As for the EMI around the Mega Live itself... Anything is possible. But I have the most standard installation imaginable (Mega Live on Ultrex). I don't even have my 360 currently installed as a replacement is arriving today!

12. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Same issue and finally turned the boat icon off. Don’t miss it
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Same issue and finally turned the boat icon off. Don’t miss it
    It is hardly mission-critical. But the fact that it doesn't work bugs me. Guess I'm a little (OK, a lot) OCD about this sort of thing.

14. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    It is hardly mission-critical. But the fact that it doesn't work bugs me. Guess I'm a little (OK, a lot) OCD about this sort of thing.
    I am too but gave up on this one
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

15. Member
    As far as the recommended settings, they forgot to tell you to set your range out to 100 feet.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    As far as the recommended settings, they forgot to tell you to set your range out to 100 feet.
    Really? 100'? Why?

17. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Really? 100'? Why?
    there is another thread on this. Kvd just did a video recommending 100 feet. I tried it sat in my tourney and for whatever reason I could see my lure better. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1180385
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

18. Member
    Sorry I meant Depth ha ha

19. Member
    Really? 100'? Why?
    Apparently, that is where it performs the best.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

20. Member
    Sounds like at least a few are having this issue. May be apples to oranges but… In an attempt to learn about “LIVE” sonar I have been watching the Garmin forum. First there is a barrel mount which mounts directly to the TM Motor barrel! There are notes the AHRS will not function properly if mounted that way. HB states no closer than 7” from the barrel of the motor. No explanation on HB pertaining to why. Magnetic interference. There is a compass (magnetometer) inside the AHRS assembly to tell direction. That combined with the boats heading sensor(required for the boat icon to be correct) can show proper direction of the boat and the separate direction of the ML transducer. The HS calibration procedure must be done. Garmin also has a calibration for the AHRS live transducer as well. HB does not. There may be some kind of automatic calibration for HB. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast