Thread: Prop question

Prop question

I know very little about props. I am looking for a prop for my sons 200HP Yamaha HPDI series 2. He was running a Powertech 4 blade and slung a blade.

I have a 2019 Yamaha SHO and run the Yamaha Vmax prop. When I look at this prop online, I saw a note that said “if you are going to run this prop on a HPDI or any other 2 stroke you will need to have vent holes machined into this prop.”

Can anyone help me understand why this is necessary? Thanks

2. Member
    Post over on the prop forum.
    Mark is the moderator and run a Yamaha on his Bullet.

3. Member
    Thanks. I will post over there.

4. Member
    Vent holes will let the motor spin up more RPM "s
    Go to Mercury motor .com
    Then to the prop forum ,they will show you how it work's.
    My Mercury Bravo 1 didn't have holes.
    It was built for In- board motors which has enough torgue to trun it.But a out board doesn't.
    I have one Bravo 1 has 4 ..1inch holes for the hole shot.
    And the other has 8 holes drill from,as they start to sell them for out boards now.
    Mark C start drilling in there props before they did. All the lite boats guys was sending there props to how to drill holes and work the prop for there boat and motor comb. For years.
    Last edited by rchavis; 05-15-2022 at 12:00 AM.

5. Member
    marks propellers a good place to call and prop section a great place on here also. mike lohn on the prop section knows his stuff!!! go with a merc prop best
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    For that hpdi you're gonna probably want a 25p t1 if you can find one. With vent holes. 2 strokes should be vented, and even some 4 strokes have better hole shot with vents. If not, i would suggest a 24p bravo, or something close. I would call mark croxton, and maybe try one of his props on it as well.