Thoughts on trolling motors

Planning for new boat. Ultrex or Garmin.
    what say ye???

Dang Mike. Can I get your old boat? I’d go with the Garmin.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

3. Member
    We can work a deal, if you are serious.

4. Member
    I am a Bird/Ultrex fanboy. However, if I were to replace my Ultrex presently, I would only want to go brushless. Reasons would be no interference, more power, and 24/36 option. So, between those two, the Garmin would be my choice. We know that MK should be coming out with a brushless troller, but we don't know exactly when. Of course, if trying to mate your electronics to your troller, then you only have one option.

FWIW, of the three new spot lock boys on the block (Garmin, Lowrance, Motorguide), the Lowrance Ghost seems to get the most accolades over in the trolling motor/electrical forum.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    Have used all but the Ghost. Hated the Force. Liked the Ultrex. Motorguide Tour is the best I have ever used.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mdwhitten View Post
    We can work a deal, if you are serious.
    Meant as a compliment. You always run such nice rigs. Hard for me to justify the upgrade, as much as I would like to. Looking forward to seeing what’s next.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

7. Member
    If you go Hummingbird then Ultrex. If you go Garmin then all Garmin. Not sure where MG fits in the picture. I’m all Garmin and one year in I’m happy. If you go Ultrex which is a fine machine, you may have interference. Another advantage with the Garmin is the 24 or 36v option on the same motor. It also self alines the motor head when stowing and is brushless. I had the Ultrex for years on my old boat and it was repaired a few times. I really don’t miss the foot pedal cables in the way.

8. Member
    Garmin Force, especially if you are running Garmin graphs. I am running a Ultrex with 3 Garmin 106’s. Interference is terrible and I can’t get it out. Yesterday my 2 y/o Ultrex took a mind of its own. Says it is not paired and now it won’t pair. I will get it fixed then I’ll replace it with a Force.

9. Member
    My new BassCat Cougar has Garmin electronics and a Force TM. I am very pleased with the combo.

10. Member
    I haven't used the Garmin, so I can't say anything about it.

I like the Ghost a whole lot more than the Ultrex.
    2023 Puma STS