2003 Optimax 135 Trouble

Out here at Toledo Bend today. My 2003 Optimax won’t turn over 5000 rpm’s at WOT and can’t go over 42 mph. I was getting 5200-5300 and 45 mph. Plugs, fuel/water separator, compressor air filter all changed. Always fresh ethanol free gas run with quick silver gas treatment. Serial #OT795533. To prevent porpoising I can’t trim up much as I’ve stated in other posts. Engine sounds and runs fine but shouldn’t I get more rpm’s out of it?
    2003 18' Xpress H56, 2022 Tohatsu MFS140 / Serial #071184BB

2. Member
    sounds way over propped , needes to turn 5750 wot loaded in in humid hot july east texas summer , might have scan of all sensors and switches and linkages to verify full throttle operation digitally , as summer progresses ( like we have now) these engines will loose as much as 15% of its rated hp from a cool early spring or fall day
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    sounds way over propped , needes to turn 5750 wot loaded in in humid hot july east texas summer , might have scan of all sensors and switches and linkages to verify full throttle operation digitally , as summer progresses ( like we have now) these engines will loose as much as 15% of its rated hp from a cool early spring or fall day
    Thank you. Right now I'm running a 19P four blade SS prop. Brand is unknown. It's great out of the hole and planes quick. But like I said porpoises bad at +40 mph, which is right at 5000 rpms and that's trimmed up 1/4 of the way. So I have to back off the throttle and/or trim back down which kills my speed and rpms.
    Last edited by MDean89; 05-16-2022 at 08:23 PM.
    2003 18' Xpress H56, 2022 Tohatsu MFS140 / Serial #071184BB

4. Member
    see your other post
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving this thread to the 2.5L Forum as well.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor