Plug wire secrets? 2019 250LPXS 4.6l V8 4S

Hi,

I have a 2019 250 Pro XS V8 4S. Model 12500033A, Serial 2B644524.

Almost at 3 year mark. The motor has around 80 hours. On Thursday after about 2 months of garage duty, it started missing on first run to spot. I read on here about some issues and decided to check the plugs. It looks as if two of the plugs may have fouled. I bought plugs and have replaced them. How in the world do you get the wires to "snap" back on the plugs. I am not a mechanic but have been in the automotive repair industry over 40 years. These are being a pain in the butt. Anyone have any secrets?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
    Last edited by knopf; 05-16-2022 at 02:28 PM.

2. Member
    Good question. I changed my plugs around 50 hours and about 3 of them would not "click" no matter what I did when I put them back on. Perhaps they were that way from the factory, perhaps it was other issues. I had other issues that Don corrected under warranty and he did replace all the plug wires as well, and I have not removed them since.

3. Member
    I am going to answer my own question for those who have viewed my post. Mercury has an issue with the plug wires. Initially Mercury was blaming people when they removed the wires from the plugs. But now there have been two revisions to the plug wires. I am told the first gen wires (have a decal around the wire) were junk. They may be the root cause of the plugs fouling. Also, the metal contact in the wire back slide back when you push the wires on. If anyone is having issues this is a warranty condition.

Scott

Would be interesting to see a pic of all 3 types side by side so we could easily identify them. I have just over 90 hours now and replaced plugs and leads at my cost and recently have developed a miss that comes and goes. Do you have any further details on how to identify these?
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knopf View Post
    I am going to answer my own question for those who have viewed my post. Mercury has an issue with the plug wires. Initially Mercury was blaming people when they removed the wires from the plugs. But now there have been two revisions to the plug wires. I am told the first gen wires (have a decal around the wire) were junk. They may be the root cause of the plugs fouling. Also, the metal contact in the wire back slide back when you push the wires on. If anyone is having issues this is a warranty condition.

Scott
    Partially true- Partially false.

Most of the problems did stem from over-zealous removal attempts of the spark plug end of the wire. Once the wire moves inside the boot, it's going to have to be replaced.

The key is that you should grasp ONLY the square portion of the boot (do not pull, tweak or even hold the wire portion when removing or installing wires onto spark plugs).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

What is the correct part number for the most up to date set?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    8M0159115 (based on the OP'ers engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you that’s the number on the ones I bought

Fouled plugs on a new 4 stroke engine with only 80 hrs ?? Wow I have yet to foul a plug on my 29 year old fire breathing smoke belching adrenaline pumping duece stroke .....Ehh progress huh.
    Best of luck hope you get it fixed.

22R

Allison XB2002 / Merc 150 XR6

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

But let's stick to the engine covered in the thread.

11. Member
    What would I need to do to get my spark plug wires replaced under warranty? See S/N in my sig below.

What about fly wheel?
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A dealer would need to find a DEFECT in your plug wires.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    A dealer would need to find a DEFECT in your plug wires.
    Thank you Don.

Not too much longer before my next maintenance and I will ask dealer to check wires and flywheel.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Partially true- Partially false.

Most of the problems did stem from over-zealous removal attempts of the spark plug end of the wire. Once the wire moves inside the boot, it's going to have to be replaced.

The key is that you should grasp ONLY the square portion of the boot (do not pull, tweak or even hold the wire portion when removing or installing wires onto spark plugs).
    Thanks Don. That is what I did. I rotated the wires several times to break the contact point and then pulled using only the large square part of the wire.