Stalling During Idle

Over the last year or two my phoenix has been having a problem where after long periods of idle it will stall. The bulb becomes depressurized and needs to be pumped back up to start the engine. It didn't bother me too much but lately over the last several months the problem has gotten drastically worse.

I can not even idle more than a few minutes at times before it stalls, and it will stall many times in the course of a day. The bulb becomes depressurized very quickly and it takes quite a few pumps (25+) to get it firm again. I can also smell gas coming from somewhere when I open the back compartment to pump the bulb, but there are no signs of fuel anywhere in the boat.

Today it got so bad I struggled to even get the motor started a couple of times.

Has anyone else fought with this? Is this most likely the bulb, the fuel demand valve, or the fuel pump? The fuel line seems like it might be difficult to replaces because there doesn't appear to be a good way to access the fuel tank to unhook it.

2. Member
    check the tank's vent, and for a squished fuel line.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

3. Member
    What motor? When I had my 2018 2 stroke pro xs it started doing this and it was something to do with a diaphragm in the motor I think. Mercury was aware of the problem and my dealer replaced it under warranty and all was well again.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HLG View Post
    What motor? When I had my 2018 2 stroke pro xs it started doing this and it was something to do with a diaphragm in the motor I think. Mercury was aware of the problem and my dealer replaced it under warranty and all was well again.
    Interesting, it’s also a 2018 2-stroke pro XS. Was it a diaphragm in the fuel pump itself?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carp104 View Post
    Interesting, it’s also a 2018 2-stroke pro XS. Was it a diaphragm in the fuel pump itself?
    Fuel rail diaphragm is what I believe it was. As soon as I told my dealer what the motor was doing he knew right away what it was as its pretty common I guess in a certain batch of motors.

6. Member
    I have a 2018 250 2stroke that did the same thing if it idled for an extended period of time. If I recall correctly they replaced the diaphragm in the tracker valve. It’s been flawless since

7. Member
    Update: replaced fuel pump, have not had the issue since.