2016 115HP - Motor dies when put into gear, restarts when put into neutral

Title says it all.....I have a 2016 Mercury 115HP Fourstroke, on my last couple trips the motor would die when I put it into reverse coming into the dock, then restart when I put it into neutral. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks in advance
    2016 Ranger RT 188 - Charcoal / Dark Cherry
    2016 Mercury 115 Fourstroke - Laser II 20p
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb.
    Lowrance Elite 12Ti2 Active Imaging 3 in 1
    Garmin 1022 GPSMAP - Liveoptics LVS34 - Tackle Shack Trolling Motor Pole Mount
    Humminbird Helix 7 GPS Only - Lakemaster VX Premium
    Lowrance Elite 12Ti2 Active Imaging 3 in 1 - Navionics +
    NextGen Lithium Batteries
    V-T2 Live well vents
    (2) Loc-R-Bar / Custom brackets - Bream Metals
    BTO Trailer steps

#HomeBrewTackleCo

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Clarify please:

Stalls when shifted into reverse: Ok.

"Restart when I put it into neutral": Are YOU meaning to say that you are ABLE to restart it after you shift to neutral, OR that a little gremlin in the electrical system is starting the engine FOR YOU?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Correct, The little gremlin is restarting the motor once I shift back into neutral
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb.
    V-T2 Live well vents
    BTO Trailer steps

#HomeBrewTackleCo

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you have a side-mount control with the key switch inside the remote control- you can pretty well count on there being damaged/pinched/chafed wiring inside the control.

Just as a note- be sure to provide your serial number when posting (while it might not seem critical to one question- it's simply required when posting to make things flow smoothly).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Same motor here, 2016, started doing the same thing about three weeks ago. Engine running and in gear, shift to neutral and it dies, key still on, shift into either gear and it restarts. Very annoying.

Serial #2B218347
    Model #1115F131D

Ignition is on dash, not on the side mount shifter
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb.
    V-T2 Live well vents
    BTO Trailer steps

#HomeBrewTackleCo

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See if you can take a video of this occurring, post it to a video hosting service and share a link here. Be great to be able to see the tachometer at the same time...

Since you have a dash-mounted key switch, make sure that switch is good (no moisture or corrosion, not hanging or sticking in start position, etc). If the switch is sticking at the start position (or start signal), some really weird stuff will happen when you shift (neutral safety switch makes and breaks the circuit, much like turning the key would). A Smart-Start model will shut down OR restart based on only a very short signal on the start circuit wire.

Lanyard switch or wiring could POSSIBLY be related to the stalling, but shouldn't be causing the Smartstart system to activate.

Great info, Thank You!
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb.
    V-T2 Live well vents
    BTO Trailer steps

#HomeBrewTackleCo

9. Member
    I will video this next time I go out. Mine does the same thing, but only on hot days. Mercury 115 4 Stroke. I have vessel view and it says system ok.
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azbassman352 View Post
    I will video this next time I go out. Mine does the same thing, but only on hot days. Mercury 115 4 Stroke. I have vessel view and it says system ok.
    Check to see if your ignition switch is sticking? Mine was doing this and the issue was the ignition switch not fully returning to the on position after starting. Therefore when you shift to neutral, the nuetral safety circuit interrupts the ignition. There seems to be a programming glitch in the ecm that causes it to reset when shifting back in gear which then causes it to restart when returning to nuetral since the switch is stuck in the start position.

I replaced my key switch and it has not done it since.