Thread: Prop Question

Prop Question

I have a 2001 Nitro NX750 with a 2005 115 Mercury Optimax motor. My hole shot was awful, I had to walk to the front of the boat every time I took off for it to plane out. The prop I had on the motor 21 pitch 13.25 diameter 3 blade prop. I did a little bit of research and went to the mercury prop selector website and ended up getting a 19 pitch 12.5 diameter 4 blade prop. The hole shot got better, but still wasn't good. A few weeks ago I went on a fishing trip and my dad drove my boat into some rocks and tore it up pretty bad, picture is below. The crazy part was, the hole shot was the best it has ever been. I measured the diameter of the prop after it was tore up and it is around 11 inches.

I really don't care that much about top speed, I generally ride 30-35 mph. However, I do want a good hole shot. Should I try to find a prop closer to the pitch and size of the now messed up prop (19 pitch 11 diameter 4 blade prop)? Or is that too small of a prop? Should I go back to a 3 blade prop with a lower number pitch and smaller diameter then my original prop? What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know you said you didn’t care about speed but any idea what full throttle rpm was? I had a carb 115 on mine and ran a 24 laser then went to a 24 trophy.
    What pvs plugs are you using? My hole shot was never great. Has that engine always been slow? When you goto wide open what kind of rpm does it turn trying to get on plane
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

3. Member
    I have a 2003 Nitro NX882 (just a tad over 18') with a 125 Merc. Hole shot kinda sucked too.
    I put a SE Sport 300 Hydrofoil on it. Ugly as sin. Great hole shot.
    Almost like the bow stays down and the transom rises up to plane.
    I'm running a Laser II, 22 pitch, 3 blade, stainless.
    I'm not into the fast stuff either but will run it wide open just to clear it's throat once in a while. 50-52mph top speed.
    Last edited by WisconsinF; 05-14-2022 at 07:55 PM.

4. Member
    I ran a Laser II 20p on a Nitro 6. Drilled out all of the plugs to 1/2 inch. Good hole shot, top out 49/50.
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro