Laser II Question

Long story short, 115 E-TEC went south and I repowered with a new Merc 4 stroke 115. Boat is a pad hull 18 ft Lowe aluminum. The Merc has a Laser II and was curious to the different characteristics between it and the Raker both are 20 P. I noticed the Raker has a lot more cup than the Laser II. I have messed with Rakers for the last 20 years but the Laser II is all new to me.

2. Member
    Laser is old school props. Tempest and others are better merc props

The Tempest wont fit the small 4 1/4 in gearcase... The Laser2 still has a home on smaller boats with smaller motors. The trophy plus is another option in a 4 blade.

I'm assuming you dont have a 4 3/4 in gearcase.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Look at a solas hr3 titan. I currently run one and really like it. Good cupping and holds water well.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    The Tempest wont fit the small 4 1/4 in gearcase... The Laser2 still has a home on smaller boats with smaller motors. The trophy plus is another option in a 4 blade.

I'm assuming you dont have a 4 3/4 in gearcase.
    Correct not a 4 3/4 gearcase.

I just replaced an 8 year old 115 Optimax with a 115 Merc 4 stroke and running my original LaserII 20 inch. I am thinking I need to drop down to a 19 inch pitch.
    However, I plan to drop the motor down 1 hole before changing anything, the boat gets squirrely at less than 1/2 trim.
    The hole shot is not as good as on the two stroke, but I think I need to remove the vent plugs in the prop. I can feel the torque build but the prop is not spinning up as quickly as before.
    Once I get the prop to pad worked out, I will probably contact Mark Croxton to see what he recommends.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

7. Member
    Was running a Laser II 20 pitch on an Opti 115. I found that drilling out all plugs to 1/2 inch worked very gave excellent results. Boat was a Nirto Z6.
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

8. Member
    The hole shot was much quicker with the E-TEC and the 20P Raker but the tendency to want to start the porpoising crap is all gone with the Merc and the Laser II. I don't know what top end will be still in break in mode. Aluminum hull guys fighting the porpoising problem props make a big difference.

9. Member
    I had a Ranger 681VS that I repowered with a 115 ProXS Fourstroke. I settled in on a Spitfire X7 in 17P, excellent holeshot, got 48 mph on the top end, and was able to run right up to 6250 rpm. I also had a 19P Spitfire X7 but it was a bit too much prop on my setup and the holeshot suffered a bit and was actually slower on the top end cause I couldn't get all the way up to the top end of the RPM range. Before I repowered I had a 115 Mariner 2 stroke and the boat came with a Laser II 22P when I bought it, the S-X7 19P is the prop that was best with that motor. The 681VS had a 23 gallon tank up in the bow and the 19P on the 115 ProXS just couldn't lift that heavy tank out of the water and air out the hull.

If you have a place that will rent you a demo prop, I would try to get a 17 and 19 Spitfire X7 to run over a weekend. Based on the boat you are running I would say the 19P is probably going to be the right prop.