Bouncing trailer tire

Have 2003 tandem champion trailer. Noticed the axle on right side lead tire was bouncing. Thought I had a steel belt getting ready go. Changed the tire same thing. I did check hub play, and the temp, by hand, all was good. Looked at the springs, not broken. Kind of stumped. Any ideas where to start? Oh and tire psi was normal.

Maybe balancing the tire would help. If its a Shoe type hub, sometimes the hub will need balanced.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Thanks,I’ll be doing that tomorrow.

You may consider road force balancing.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Definitely check for balance issue. I never have understood those that claim balancing is not necessary on trailer tires. If it rotates, it needs balanced.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Is the tire bouncing when going over bumps? If so, the springs are not being allowed to work as designed. It indicates worn shackle bushings which can egg out the hanger holes and basically freeze your springs into place. Ask me how I know. It was gradual so it took a while for me to realize my trailer should not be bouncing like that. The tires were taking all the shock and load.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    How can I check the shackle bushings?

For me when I looked under neath it was noticeable that there was an offset in where the center of the hole is and where the bolt actually was. Other than seeing something that don't look right, you may notice lots of squeaking. But every several years the bushings should be replaced as they are just plastic and meant to wear.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Definitely check for balance issue. I never have understood those that claim balancing is not necessary on trailer tires. If it rotates, it needs balanced.

+ 1 @ 100% fact!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by captzapp View Post
    How can I check the shackle bushings?
    Put the trailer up on jack stands and hang the axles. This can be done with two stands behind the axles and two in front. Then take a floor jack or other type jack and lift the axle just enough to remove the weight of the axle itself. This will relax the spring. Then take a pry bar and pry around the shackle bushings and look for movement. Be careful and use as many stands as you can. If you take your wheels off (I suggest), place them under the trailer frame just in case.

Note: Bouncing wheels are usually a balance problem.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

11. Member
    Well it turned out to be a tire getting ready to throw a belt, and the other tire was out of balance. Tire place replaced it free. Thanks for all the information everyone.

My guess was a separated tire! Out of balance tires don’t jump typically.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,