Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Very odd problem.

Normally I can figure out any electrical problems. Up until this point never had one I couldn't figure out. I've got a 125ah ionic starting battery. It's hooked to a 2008 proXS optimax. If I charge battery to 100% before going out on water I turn on my graphs and if I use the trim no problem at all. Then I get on plane and if I use trim both graphs turn off. I can cut them back on and same thing. After I fish for a while and get battery below 99% the graphs will not turn off when using trim. I have dedicated wiring to all graphs. Same wiring I had before installing the ionic. No I haven't put meter on it to check anything while problem occurs just haven't had the chance to yet. I'm thinking it's a voltage spike when the trim relay de-energizes. Any ideas are appreciated.

More info needed. What does the battery read
    1-after removing from the charger
    2-2hr after removing
    3-when the problem occurs
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianmoore25 View Post
    Normally I can figure out any electrical problems. Up until this point never had one I couldn't figure out. I've got a 125ah ionic starting battery. It's hooked to a 2008 proXS optimax. If I charge battery to 100% before going out on water I turn on my graphs and if I use the trim no problem at all. Then I get on plane and if I use trim both graphs turn off. I can cut them back on and same thing. After I fish for a while and get battery below 99% the graphs will not turn off when using trim. I have dedicated wiring to all graphs. Same wiring I had before installing the ionic. No I haven't put meter on it to check anything while problem occurs just haven't had the chance to yet. I'm thinking it's a voltage spike when the trim relay de-energizes. Any ideas are appreciated.
    I had almost the same issue last time out with my rig, thought maybe it was loose wire or something - drove me nuts. Actually topped off the batteries and turned graphs on at home and let the boat sit thinking it would happen again, did not think it had anything to do with trim but may run some additional tests. First three times I used my Ionic it was only around 88% charged, issue did not occur until after first full charge cycle.
    My 125ah lithium was showing around 13.4 after a day sitting off charger and when boat went in the water. Nothing else was impacted when the issue occurred, it only seemed to be the graphs. Ironically I was texting back and forth with Ionic about charging right before this happened.
    Boat is 2021 Skeeter with hard wired graphs.
    Last edited by mknj671; 05-14-2022 at 05:37 PM.

4. Member
    Pretty much same here. Only doesn't after full charge. I'm gonna quit being lazy and do some voltage checks next time on the water. What's crazy is it doesn't do it at idle only at on plane and up RPM.

5. Member
    My graphs were on and fine when I ran to the first spot of the day, put the trolling motor down and fished for about 10 minutes and noticed bow was off. Was going to move and console was off as well, holding power would flash Hummbird name quickly.and then nothing, stayed that way until I reached my second spot and was fishing for a bit, they both powered back up and stayed on fine the rest of the day.
    My Ionic was bought in February, how old is yours?

6. Member
    Bought 1 1/2 year. Been doing it since new. Only way it doesn't do it is if don't fully charge the battery.

7. Member
    Keep us informed. I have the Ionic 125 and haven’t had any issues but will be good to know if something happens.

8. Member
    Just to level set because there is so much equipment out there these days, I am using a one year old Minn Kota PC460 to charge set to AGM, graphs are both Humminbird Helix units.

9. Member
    I'm using ionic charger 2 helix 10 graphs.

10. Member
    You indeed have an odd issue. When your voltage should be highest, the motor is charging the system, your graphs sense a low voltage and shut down. Either that or there is a voltage spike when the trim relays de energize. The relays are relatively cheap, maybe you should plug two new ones in to test that theory, but it is a rather slim chance. I don't think graphs have a overvoltage sensor but of course they do have an undervoltage sensor.
    Maybe the battery is sensing the high motor output voltage and disconnecting itself and resetting when the motor returns to idle for a while, then the graphs kick off in that interim period. Your trim circuit uses a lot of juice and if you trim without the battery in the circuit the voltage will drop a lot.

11. Member
    Mine occurred both with the motor running and also off so I do not think it has to do with the charging system. Never had the issue while running lead acid, wondering if the BMS or something is messed up in the lithium.

12. Member
    Well, the B M S is trying to protect the battery, it may have quirks.

13. Member
    I'm leaning towards the voltage spike when de-energizing. I'm going to put my meter on it and check but it will probably be to fast to catch it. I am a relay technician and have a very good understanding of electrical circuits but have just been lazy on figuring it out.

14. Member
    On the battery post, are all the wires stacked on top of each other?

15. Member
    Either way why would the lithium not handle that spike? Ran my boat for 9 months last year on the lead acid and never had an issue, when I purchased the Ionic and used it for several trips with charge showing high 80s and 90s it was a non issue - only showed up after full charge cycle.
    I have the Ionic battery posts as well so none of the connections are stacked.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianmoore25 View Post
    I'm leaning towards the voltage spike when de-energizing. I'm going to put my meter on it and check but it will probably be to fast to catch it. I am a relay technician and have a very good understanding of electrical circuits but have just been lazy on figuring it out.
    I believe there is an anti-spike diode in the relays. That's why I recommended changing them, but the odds are very small of that happening.

A BMS (Battery Management system) is an integrated electronics board that monitors the battery and its cells, providing overcharge protection, overcurrent protection, regulating operating and charging temperature, and other protective functions to ensure a long and productive life from every Dakota Lithium battery. In short, a BMS is a backup safety system that makes sure your lithium battery is 100% safe and reliable.

Could it be disconnecting the battery if your outboard charging system pisses it off due to high voltage, and in the interim period the trim circuit loads it down to below LV trigger setting. A lead acid battery would stay on-line and provide the needed current to run the trim system.
    Then, when the system voltage drops, it joins the action again.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 05-17-2022 at 02:15 PM.

17. Member
    There is diode on my engine but as said I've been lazy on figuring this out. The diode could be shorted just got to check it. My post are not stacked. Only have engine cables then #6 cables going to a separate fuse panel and charger cable on battery.

Brian. Have you talked with Ionic about this ??.. Do you have Hummingbird ??

I don't have an Ionic starting battery due to the original BMS systems not being compatible with the Mercury V8.
    Now that those issues have been addressed I'm looking to replace my AGM with a 125 AH because I keep getting a low voltage signal with my H-bird.
    Sure don't want to trade one issue for another !!!

19. Member
    I am going to put a lead acid back in for my next trip and cart the Ionic along, see what the results are testing back to back. Andy seems to frequent the forums so I figured he would have chimed in by now, not having electronics including NMEA data for my motor at the start of a day is not fun.

20. Member
    I haven't talked to ionic since I'm not sure the issue is solely with the battery. I do have hummingbirds. Gen 2 helix 10's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast