Thread: Getting Closer!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    https://www.surpluscenter.com/

Look at this site. You may find what you need to go the route you desire for that press
    Many thanks... I will save that link.

2. Member
    10-in bore?
    Yes, with a Vickers pump. It was an animal.
    Used it on seasoned eucalyptus

3. Member
    Now that is one heavy duty log splitter, great work.

4. Member
    Can't budge it! The beam weighs 50lbs per foot and it's eight feet long. Cylinder is 370 lbs. Push plate I can pick up, but not walk with it as it's awkward to handle. Push plate is built out of 7/8" steel for both the bottom and vertical pieces. The plates that receive the cylinder on the push plate and the anchor point at the rear are 3/4". A lot of 5/8" steel used as well for bracing. The vertical part of the wedge is 1"x12"x42" cold rolled steel. I doubt I'll last as long as this thing does!
    You my friend are serious about splitting wood!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    You my friend are serious about splitting wood!
    You would think he were splitting Iron wood
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

That is one heck of a project! A lot bigger than the small splitter I made years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    You would think he were splitting Iron wood
    We do have a lot of tough to split species of wood around this area. And by the way, there is a species called ironwood around here. Don't know if that's the actual correct name for it, but it is real stringy and tough.

We do have a lot of tough to split species of wood around this area. And by the way, there is a species called ironwood around here. Don't know if that's the actual correct name for it, but it is real stringy and tough.
    Stringy and tough??? miserable maybe??? you ever try splitting sweet gum, everything about those trees sux, i guess they do make fair RR ties though

and like Axhiker posted thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Many thanks... I will save that link.
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

Quote Originally Posted by m.t.hands View Post
    Stringy and tough??? miserable maybe??? you ever try splitting sweet gum, everything about those trees sux, i guess they do make fair RR ties though

and like Axhiker posted thanks for the link
    You're both welcome for the link. Yes, I have split sweet gum and black gum. It's usually a wet nasty mess! Once split, it sure doesn't last long on the ground. I avoid it if at all possible. I'll chunk just about anything into my outdoor boiler though. Just as long as it makes heat. Beggars can't be choosers.

10. Member
    I know of your ironwood and have read how hard it it. Over here it's dried live oak that needs a splitter like your building
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Congrats

I'm thinking about building one like this then I'll have to find an operator while I still have 10 toes and most of my fingers

Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

14. Member
    Nope, no more. Built a few of them and the next one is having a infeed deck, cutter splitter and conveyer. Commonly referred to as a processor. Wood around here went from $40 a face cord to $140 in less than 3 years. You are real close on cycle times without knowing the rod dia. 2500psi is about 67,000lbs at 2500. Your relief will set your pressure, the pump is just rated for max psi. CJ
    Last edited by CJ1; 05-17-2022 at 01:13 PM.
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Nope, no more. Built a few of them and the next one is having a infeed deck, cutter splitter and conveyer. Commonly referred to as a processor. Wood around here went from $40 a face cord to $140 in less than 3 years. You are real close on cycle times without knowing the rod dia. 2500psi is about 67,000lbs at 2500. Your relief will set your pressure, the pump is just rated for max psi. CJ
    Rod diameter is 3.5". And I do have a single pilot check valve that will dump the imbalanced volume of fluid from the back end of the cylinder when retracting since my valves are only 25 gallon/minute.

16. Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BDwLNXqD8RXSPRSH7

Lot lift finished and ready to be installed.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    That is a Biggest Bad Azz Log Splitter I've ever seen sure there is some excellent engineering involved in it's design not to mention the outstanding craftsmanship in it's construction.

19. Member
    I was going to guess a UFO from Startrek.

20. Member
    I have a crap load of them growing around me. That is a common name. Black Gum tree and Blue Gum is other common names.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast