05 verado power steering issue

Got out to the lake this morning and don’t have and steering on my 05 Verado 250. Under the console I can hear almost a Wooshing sound of fluid when the boat is on and I turn the wheel. I don’t see any leaks anywhere. I did check my fluid reservoir and don’t see anything in it but not sure how full it’s supposed to be or why it would be low if I can’t find a leak. Anyone had this issue before? My serial number is 1B205753
    2005 Ranger Z21
    2005 Mercury Verado 250

2. Member
    Update: found this leaking after I got it off the water
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 Ranger Z21
    2005 Mercury Verado 250

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ugh. Need to verify that it's not a line or connection on the cylinder- most likely you'll need to replace the steering cylinder.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Yes since my post I have found out my seals have gone bad in the steering ram...new part from mercury was roughly $850 and not available till July...The rebuild kit from mercury was about $150 but there's a special socket tool needed for the rebuild that costs $200 if your mechanic doesn't already have it...for anyone else reading with this issue I did find a service down in Florida that rebuilds them for $260. You mail them your cylinder and they rebuild, test it and send it back with a two year warranty. Five star marine in Port Richey Florida is who does the rebuild.
    2005 Ranger Z21
    2005 Mercury Verado 250

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's a pretty good deal.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Just wanted to provide an update. Got my steering ram back within about a week and everything seems to be working great. Pricing (like everything else) has gone up to $350 for the rebuild if anyone else is needing to get this repair done. Hope this helps someone on down the line!
    2005 Ranger Z21
    2005 Mercury Verado 250