Thread: dash touch pad

dash touch pad

Does anyone who has had their touchpad/"brainbox" fail ever determined if it was the pad vs the brainbox? After 20 years, mine (on 2002 ZX) is starting to act up. Twice last year and a couple times now, the power switch will not work. However, I know it's because of excess heat because it only fails after sitting in full sun with the boat cover on. Morning or evening (when its cooler) it works and it also worked all winter in my garage. I can do the conversion to rocker switches myself, but I would rather keep what I have if I could fix it. Thanks for any input...
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

2. Member
    It very rarely is the touch pad. But I did have my bow touch pad go bad when i left my boat under the cover in winter long time ago. I actually just talked with Blink Marine about seeing if they can make one or get mine working again. I am going to send them some info off the switch and they are going to see what they can do. One thing I would do if I was you is unbolt your brain box from the deck and look at the bottom side and see if the resin is starting to delaminate from the sides and that usually is what kills them cause it allows moisture in. Also put something to insulate it from the deck cause the heat goes right into it during those hot days on the water.

3. Member
    ok, thanks. I'm going to check that out this week, as well as all the terminal connections.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

4. Member
    I think mine is on borrowed time now. It will power on if I disconnect/reconnect the power at battery, but it won't shut off at the panel. Anyway, I'm going to change to rockers this winter, but to get me through the summer I'm going to add an off-on switch near the dash (easier than disconnecting at battery and I remember seeing older posts with others doing this). I can either put the switch in the main red 10ga pwr wire between the fuse panel and brainbox OR the red pwr wire between the panel and brainbox. Does anyone know if it really matters which one? Thanks
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

5. Member
    I didn’t think they were using the DMS module in 2002. I thought that came out with the iClass (2006).

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    I didn’t think they were using the DMS module in 2002. I thought that came out with the iClass (2006).
    Yes, the ZX has it. TZX has the rockers.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

7. Member
    FYI anyone who has the same problem (power-on switch not turning on or not shutting off). To get me thru this summer I wired a cheap "on-off" toggle switch into the small red wire between touch pad and the first 4-pin connector going to "brainbox". All touchpad functions work again as usual. I did this instead of having to disconnect back at the battery each time to get it on or off...much easier
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

My 06 zx250 didn’t have the DMS module
    Everything was in the touch pad
    Mine went south years ago and it was replaced with the rocker “Analog” version
    "The handicapped angler"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    My 06 zx250 didn’t have the DMS module
    Everything was in the touch pad
    Mine went south years ago and it was replaced with the rocker “Analog” version
    MichA...yes I think it's pretty rare that this one lasted 20 years with no problems...Anyway, time to move on, so I'll replace with analogue switches this winter.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

Just a note for anyone doing the switch to the rocker style

The analog livewell timers draw a little more than the digital timers so you need to swap the 5 amp fuses for 7 amp fuses
    "The handicapped angler"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    Yes, the ZX has it. TZX has the rockers.

The DMS has compartment alarms, among other features. I thought they came out with the iSeries and were used in the early FX’s. I wasn’t referring to the touch pads, which may be on ZX’s, but the DMS brain box, which is a completely different thing. Does the ZX pad work with a module (or just a fuse box)? If it has a module, maybe Blink may have one.

12. Member
    my 2002 ZX has the touchpad which signals the module which in turn sends current to each function in the fuse panel.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

13. Member
    I would talk to Blink Marine they have all kinds of touch pads they can customize. They are doing one for my Bow Panel on my 2008 I class.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnghtshdow View Post
    I would talk to Blink Marine they have all kinds of touch pads they can customize. They are doing one for my Bow Panel on my 2008 I class.
    ok, thanks, I'll check them out
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO