Evinrude Carbon Guard

Please help me using this product. I am concerned my 90 HO is running too cold at WOT (yesterday 106 degrees with 55 degree water temps) and I'm thinking using Carbon Guard might help keep my exhaust valve clean. I do run the boat at WOT every time out but I have noticed how black the Prop Nut and Hub area is. The outboard does run like a raped ape at WOT and perfect at all RPM's. Am I being a bit over concerned with this. It's been doing this the last 2 years since the spring was changed on the Water Pressure Relief Valve due to high temps lower mid range RPM's while bucking 2-3' waves.

Thank You for Your Time and Happy Fishing in 2022 and Beyond.

What temp does the motor run at idle?
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

3. Member
    153 degrees.

Idle is good. You normally do not have t worry about high speed water temps being too cool as combustion chamber and spark plug nose temps are over 1000 degrees at full throttle and upper rpm ranges.
    -----

5. Member
    Seahorse, thanks for taking time out in you day to help me out.........so NO Carbon Guard needed ?

No, not needed all the time but perhaps in a tankful every 100 hours as a cleansing agent for normal carbon buildup and to prevent stuck rings, etc.
    -----

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    No, not needed all the time but perhaps in a tankful every 100 hours as a cleansing agent for normal carbon buildup and to prevent stuck rings, etc.
    So not good to use all the time ? 1997 intruder ran on super unleaded with/out ethanol + XD-50

Waste of money to use it all the time as long as your motor is maintained as is should be. If you are anal, then maybe a tank every 50 hours or so.

If you are just starting to use it on an existing motor, then you may initially want to run several tankfulls in a row to get things cleaned out first.
    -----

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danlaboucane View Post
    If you are just starting to use it on an existing motor, then you may initially want to run several tankfulls in a row to get things cleaned out first.
    The motor i have did not see proper maintenance i think, and I saw a difference over time on performance after decarb + using carbon guard but i will use it less as you recommend , thank you SEAHORSE
    Last edited by SEAHORSE; 05-15-2022 at 12:48 PM.