Thread: Keitech Storage

Keitech Storage

I watched a video recently and a guy had all of his Keitech swimbaits stored loose in a big tupperware tub.

Has anyone tried this before and do the swimbaits keep their shape? I could free up a lot of space if I didn't have to keep them in their clamshell packaging.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

2. BBC SPONSOR
    I keep rage swimmers loose in a Mafia money bag and have zero issues

The only ones I've had really deform on me are the knockoff ones made with stiffer plastic and/or no salt. It seems that ultra soft, heavily salted Keitech plastic doesn't have many issues "taking a shape" when stored imperfectly, though extreme situations like having them so jumbled that they end up folded in half still will cause problems. Of course the clamshells are the better-safe-than-sorry option. Ordinarily I'd be all aboard the "what does it hurt to try it?" train, but in this case for what those things cost, it hurts the wallet substantially if that experiment fails!

At the end of the day, even though I've not had major problems storing them outside the clamshells, I deal with all the space they take up to avoid any chance of ruining them. It makes a pretty big difference to take the scissors to the edges of the clamshells to at least reduce the space they take up in my experience. I always cut them as close to the molded area where baits lay as possible. I even tried cutting out the individual "molds" that the baits fit in so I could fit more in a pack and while that worked for a minute, they tended to get all stacked up on each other after riding around for a while such that they took up more room.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    I have a mix of probably 200 loose rage swimmers and keitechs in all different colors in a bass mafia bag. Been storing them this way for 3 years. No color bleeding or plastics melting.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

I keep them in the clamshells until ready for use. I use Loctite to secure them to the jig heads. I'll glue up as many as I think I'll need for the next day of fishing, plus a few extra and store them in a utility box. They are really working right now on Beaver lake - Bass, mostly smallmouth, stripers, walleye, catfish, white bass, and even the panfish won't leave them alone. TW Memorial Day sale is approaching, I need some more in "Sight Flash".

May16cat.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    I like to keep them in the clam shell just for organization purposes. It’s easier to know what colors I’m running short on and which ones I have an excess of.

i do like the 2.8s a lot. However they just don’t seem to work like they used to here. Probably because everyone is throwing them now.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    I decided to try removing my Strike King Rage Swimmers (3.75") from their clam shells and putting them in a 3700 Plano box for this season. I am regretting it. I've pulled several out of the 3700 box to find that the tail is kinked or the paddle is curled a little. I haven't had them out in the heat and I tried to keep them as straight as possible in the 3700 box. So for me at least I've decided to stick with keeping them in their clam shells from now on. I have a couple empty clam shells (threw away the rest) so I'm going to try and just fill those up with good ones before I head out for the day and then I'll just boil the kinked ones to replenish the clam shells as needed until they are used up. Lesson learned. I do have quite a few 4.3 & 4.8 Keitechs that I have kept in their clam shells, so at least my little experiment didn't affect them at all.

8. Member
    I just dump 50+ into the large gallon plastic storage bags. No issues with colors bleeding or losing their shape. I go through a lot of 3.8's!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I like to keep them in the clam shell just for organization purposes. It’s easier to know what colors I’m running short on and which ones I have an excess of.

i do like the 2.8s a lot. However they just don’t seem to work like they used to here. Probably because everyone is throwing them now.
    I feel like they've lost a little bit of their effectiveness here as well.

To the OP, I pack mine in a deep 3700. As long as you keep them relatively straight in the plano I've had no issues.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

10. Member
    I take them out and throw them in a gallon bag (Rage swimmers) and I have not seen an issue yet. I have rigged up some where the boot is kinked a bit and once it starts going through the water it looks the same as any other
    Fish have fins, they swim