G. Loomis Wiebe Reel Seat Models (IMX and GLX)

How do these models compare to the ECS seats and what do you prefer? I know these are 20+ year old rods but they were quite the rods in the day. How do they compare to the newer models? Specifically MBR783C and MBR843C. Thanks and best wishes on the water!
    Last edited by Big-Bass1; 05-19-2022 at 04:18 PM.

2. Member
    The ECS is pretty popular, but I prefer the ASC myself. Functionally (not just comfort), the ASC does not use arbors so the seat is reamed to fit the blank directly. Comfort is great, but it seems I can get used to anything.

3. Member
    Yesterday, I received my G. Loomis GLX MBR843C with the Wiebe reel seat. Turns out what was described as excellent condition was actually new without tags. The cork is amazing and the original sticker is still on the bottom of the rod butt. This is a beautiful, light, old school rod! Thanks and best wishes on the water!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bass1 View Post
    Yesterday, I received my G. Loomis GLX MBR843C with the Wiebe reel seat. Turns out what was described as excellent condition was actually new without tags. The cork is amazing and the original sticker is still on the bottom of the rod butt. This is a beautiful, light, old school rod! Thanks and best wishes on the water!
    Wow thats a great find. One of my favorite rods of all time.

5. Moderator
    If you’re looking for any negatives, I’ve heard people complain about chipping front reel feet…
    Steve

6. Member
    Yep I am aware that it could mar the foot but a little piece of tape could alleviate that. The old seat sits lower than the ECS seat.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bass1 View Post
    Yep I am aware that it could mar the foot but a little piece of tape could alleviate that. The old seat sits lower than the ECS seat.
    I've used tape on reel feet for almost two decades. This essentially stops chipping of the reel feet, and usually secures the reel better in the reel seat...just make sure to not put on too much as it will make tightening down the reel seat difficult.

And yes, not much sits a reel lower to the rod than the OG Wiebe reel seat, aside perhaps the skeletal designs that have gone out of style.

8. Member
    FWIW, if you can locate some OG classic Enders custom rods, they used Wiebe reel seats along with hard wood for the handles...they were beautifully made rods.