Tilt trim issues

Hello. I've got an 87 70hp the tilt and trim is not working like it should. The tilt works fine and the trim works fine going up but when you trim down and it hits the trim rams it stops. The motor sounds like it bogging down. You can feather the switch and it will go down an inch or so at a time. Or you can put your foot on the lower and push and it will go down while holding the switch on. Stuck valve or blockage?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soonerick View Post
    Hello. I've got an 87 70hp the tilt and trim is not working like it should. The tilt works fine and the trim works fine going up but when you trim down and it hits the trim rams it stops. The motor sounds like it bogging down. You can feather the switch and it will go down an inch or so at a time. Or you can put your foot on the lower and push and it will go down while holding the switch on. Stuck valve or blockage?
    If I had to make a guess I would say replace the brushes. Good luck.

3. Member
    Well it's not the motor. The motor works just fine.

4. Member
    theres check valve in the port trim ram possibly stuck or sticking , possible valve body bad also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................