Another Hub Question

I have a 07 521vx with cool hubs and one of em starting to leak oil. I bought a full set of Vortex hubs last year figuring I would need to change em out someday. I suppose that day is here. Looks pretty straight forward.

Remove the caliper
    Remove the castle nut
    smack the back of the spindle and pop the old hub out
    install the new one

Any tips or tricks? Should I anti seize or lube on anything….. 9328C0B7-C61C-4DFD-9B5D-226F55D7AAEB.jpeg879DFE1E-0308-49BC-99E7-F86FDEB9621F.jpeg

2. Member
    That's basically it. If the hub is seized at the joint you may need a torch to heat up the housing around the tapered hole. But some effort should bust the joint free. If for any reason youre wanting to salvage the old hub to repair for a spare, put the castle nut back on a few threads and hammer on that with a 2 or 5lb sledge. That way you dont mushroom the threads. Clean off the rust with some emery cloth or a wire wheel for a clean surface. When installing the vortex hub assembly I use a coat of the Mercury marine 2-4-c grease(or comparable) on both surfaces and they come apart fine later if needed. I want to say the torque is around 55 ft lbs but youll find once its good and tight youll be more worried about clocking of the castle nut to be able to install the cotter pin. A 1-1/2" crows foot or 15" crescent wrench will do the job. The clearance doesnt allow for a socket and wrench or breaker bar to get in there. Grease all the threads on the hub since they see a lot of water. Theyre a great hub and are easily serviced by removing the black hub cap. Good luck��

3. Member
    Also when reinstalling the caliper bolts clean them up good. The same grease or anti seize on those will keep the calipers freed up and minimize dragging

4. Member
    Perfect. Thanks Maackbass

5. Member
    Just finished swapping the bad one out. WHY does that castle nut have to be just enough behind the axel mount that the socket will not fit��. It would have been so much easier if I could have hit it with air tools. I ended up taking out the two bolts that hold the axel onto the farm so that it would drop down. Socket still won’t fit but the extra room to worm made it much nicer and worth dropping the axel.