Thread: over voltage

over voltage

model 1150P73HY
    SERIAL NUMBER 1B851548
    150PROXSL

just returning to the ramp and the mercury alarm went off second time in ten years
    Shut down the motor and started checking the normal items nothing
    Started up no problem started to give it a little gas and noted the voltage went over 16 volts but dropped down to 12/ 13 volts at idle
    limped back loaded and back home
    At this point i would like say i am an electrical eng with a masters in controls and instrumentation
    So when i say the battery is good its good and all terminals are clean and tight they are fused link is good and i have already ordered a new alternator
    Now the question
    i have never heard of alternator giving over voltage i would love to know more about the circuit but i am unable to find circuit diagram for the charging circuit

hope this post is on the right page if not please move it

2. Member
    do you have serv manual ????? internaly regulated alternator
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    no i do not have a service manual but right now that sounds like a good idea question what are the control wires red and purple for ? maybe voltage regulator ?
    i am ok with big ol red wire
    Last edited by richardZ7; 05-13-2022 at 01:29 PM.

4. Member
    thanks to the members
    red wire (small) going to Alternator is battery 12V + ref
    purple wire (small) is key switched 12V + to activate the regulator

5. Member
    not a one wire system so if anyone has a overvolt alarm this should be your check list
    check fused link large red wire from alt to terminal other side of motor battery disconnected
    check small red wire for battery voltage 12v + battery connected
    check small purple wire for 12v+ with ignition on check on and off battery connected
    Last edited by richardZ7; 05-17-2022 at 11:11 AM.

6. Member
    no sir its not a one wire alt if thats question
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Almost always a failed alternator (regulator failed). Make sure the grounds for the alternator are clean as you replace it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    all done and complete going to have the old one repaired and keep it as a spare

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One note to that end: Most of the shops that do these have a device that can spin the alternator at approximately 3500 RPM's for testing.

That's the equivalent of about 1150 RPM's mounted to your engine. Probably not going to fail under those conditions.

At 5000 RPM's, that little alternator is singing along at 15K RPM's.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor