Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tipping home repair service techs?

i had a problem with my AC and the guy they sent out was very professional and was able to make the repair in very short order. When I paid the bill I also gave the guy 30 bucks as a tip. He tried to give it back and I wouldn't take it. He said he has been doing service work for over 2 years and I was the first person to ever give him a tip. So my question is do you tip and how much, the bill for the repair was only 125.00. I also do garage door service and I can count on two hands the number of times I have been given a tip I. Over 20 years.
    John the Garage Doorman

2. Member
    They are not like food service industries that rely on tips for their wages so not sure why people would be expected to tip? I could see tipping someone if they came during way odd hours to do a repair, or came and fixed something quick without billing you for it.
    Fish have fins, they swim

I tip if I feel they did a good job.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

I can't say that I tip them all every time but there have been times where I felt they went above and beyond a routine call and for that I was grateful and tried to show it via giving a tip.

Not a chance they are getting a tip from me and I don't expect a tip when I do my work for someone.

6. Member
    I've done it a few times.

no
    2018 Nitro Z18 w/175 HP Merc ProXs
    16ft Monark - all Electric (70#bow, 2x45# stern)

8. Member
    I had a guy come out to look at my water softener 3 weeks ago. He was at my house for 10 minutes tops, and I got charged $104. He was nice and curtious, but I couldn't believe the company, which I buy all my rock salt from for the last 15 years, would charge me that much for a 10 minute call.

9. Member
    This whole tip thing is very confusing on who, when, where and how much someone is tipped? I don't get tipped for doing my job nor do I expect it and it doesn't matter on the type of work I'm doing. If you are impressed with the work someone does what happened to saying you did a great job and thank you very much and even telling that to their boss. Shake the man's hand and even offer him something to drink.

10. Member
    If he wants to tip --then go ahead ! Ones who dont --wont .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    If he wants to tip --then go ahead ! Ones who dont --wont .

That makes too much sense....

12. Member
    I bet if he needs service again the guy he tipped will be right there !
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

13. Banned
    nope

I usually tip because of human nature. A little extra usually gets you a little extra. Might catch a break next time or get a favor when I need it.

15. Member
    AC went out yesterday called about 6 P.M. and left a message. They called me back this morning and said they were swamped and would put me on the list. It is now 2 P.M. and repair man just left and my AC is working, damn right I tipped him.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTC View Post
    AC went out yesterday called about 6 P.M. and left a message. They called me back this morning and said they were swamped and would put me on the list. It is now 2 P.M. and repair man just left and my AC is working, damn right I tipped him.
    Same thing the guy was early and did a great job he went ahead and changed the air filter and cleaned out the condenser coils and took all the covers off the out side unit to clean it throughly. I felt he went way above just finding a shorted wire and making that repair.
    John the Garage Doorman

17. Member
    No cash but I might hand them a beer or 6 depending on time of day.

18. Member
    Residential hvac guy here, i probably get a tip maybe every 2 mos? Largest one was $100. Not required at all obviously but def. Appreciated.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

Get a guy that comes in does a nice job, I will give him some beer money. It has come back to help, when you need them again. Treat the working guy good, its the boss thats making the big cash. I threw my mechnic a few baits, gets me in quick and takes care of me when I need him.

20. Member
    Had a washer and dryer delivered and old ones hauled away gave them twenty bucks for the hard work. The plumber comes and charges $75 just to come in the door probably not but you never know.
    Red Sox in 6!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast