Thread: HP Question

HP Question

Can I get insurance for a bass boat that has a high hp motor than is recommended by the boat manufacturer? Is there any other legal issues that might be incurred in this situation?
    Chris Smith
    2022 BC Bobcat
    150 ProXs

2. BBC SPONSOR
    That is going to depend on your insurance company. I would have a talk with your agent before you proceed to do it and see what they come up with. If it is covered, get it in writing via email or something like that. The company that I work for will not insure an over rated boat, but I know each company is different. The reason for talking to your agent first, is that if the boat is over rated, that is the easiest most cut and dry way to deny a claim by the insurance company. I don't mean the obvious part about if you damage your boat. I mean if you injure or kill someone. I would hate for the need to go a few miles an hour faster to potentially cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars if the unthinkable happened. If your agent doesn't know the answer off the top of their head, which most won't unless they fish or have a boat, they should have resources available to ask that question. If you're asked questions about it, be 100% honest as best you can and don't be vague. Again, I'm thinking long term worst case scenario here. It is better to know that you are covered instead of hoping that you are.

"If you're asked questions about it, be 100% honest as best you can and don't be vague."

Good advice. If you've lied about your engine's true horsepower, the insurance company can void your policy as if it never existed and you're left with no coverage at all.

However, if you've been truthful and have a claim, the insurance company cannot take this action and must cover a liability claim, and may or may not deny a property damage claim.

https://www.insurancehotline.com/res...uto-insurance/ Boat insurance is similar.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90