Prop recommendations

2004 Stratos 285 pro xl 150 Optimax . What prop would you guys recommend ? no jackplate . I havent ran this boat yet so i cant say what rpms its running .

2. Member
    Until we get some numbers we're just throwing darts at a dart board with the lights off. Even if someone has the exact same boat/motor every rig runs different.

3. Member
    A 23P Tempest would probably be the best starting point.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

4. Member
    I still haven't ran it yet but its got a 24 pitch tempest and he says it runs about 52mph. . ill let yall know what the rpms are when i run it sat. thanks

5. Member
    I had a 2007 285 with a carbureted Yamaha 150 that ran 60 mph with a 25 Tempest, no jack plate , 2 people, full tackle and a half tank of gas.

6. Member
    I bought the boat today.. we ran it with 3 people no gear 1/2 tank fuel.. best I could get was 48 MPH motor has one more hole it could raise. trimmed all the way up it does not blow out . In other words you cant trim it too high. max rpms was 46-4800. if i come down with the motor any it'll Lose speed and rpms. Prop is a 24 pitch i cant tell the make but its 3 blade stainless. Im thinking like PMantle said I need to run a 23 as to raise RPMs and jack plate probably is in my near future. any help from you guys is appreciated .

7. Member
    Dropping to a 23p will help but it should only raise you a couple hundred rpms. Not being sure about the history of the boat and motor I would have a compression test done on the motor just to rule out low compression before dumping a lot of money into props and jack plates

8. Member
    thanks man. I did a compression test in the guys yard . all cylinders tested 110 by my gauge. its a cheepy from autozone so who knows how accurate the numbers are . i was more concerned about were they all the same and that part passed.

9. Member
    A poor prop will not get the lift needed to get on pad and the rpms will raise when the boat is on pad. Max rpms need to be noted when on pad. Find a good tempest in that size and see how it runs before making adj. you need to lift the bow for it to gain performance otherwise it’s a barge just plowing water

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    I bought the boat today.. we ran it with 3 people no gear 1/2 tank fuel.. best I could get was 48 MPH motor has one more hole it could raise. trimmed all the way up it does not blow out . In other words you cant trim it too high. max rpms was 46-4800. if i come down with the motor any it'll Lose speed and rpms. Prop is a 24 pitch i cant tell the make but its 3 blade stainless. Im thinking like PMantle said I need to run a 23 as to raise RPMs and jack plate probably is in my near future. any help from you guys is appreciated .

down 1000 rpms on top end? must be plowing badly?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    Thanks for all the help. Just got back from my trip. I have a Certified boat mechanic coming to my place monday. (Friend of a friend thing) anyway he's going to help me pull the lower and replace the water pump, gear oil, reattach the speedo tube, change plugs and do a good general check on the engine. I have the experience to do all of this myself and have twisted more than my share of wrenches in my life but Im not very familiar with the optimax engines. This will be a good way to learn mine and then him and I can determine where to go from there on a prop. Not looking to break any speed records but I defiantly want whatever is available. Ill keep yall posted .

23 Tempest plus with a light load and no power poles... 22P Bravo1 FS or XS for a load or rough water. Much better all around prop. Make sure the throttle linkage is getting full pull at the motor.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html