Thread: Rebuild or?

Rebuild or?

My 93 merc xri requires a rebuild per mechanic at a very reputable boat shop. 2 cylinders have 60% leak down I think he said. Any how, rebuild cost is around 5k. Are these motors reliable enough to warrant a rebuild? Just looking for some advice and see what other people have done in similar situations. Thanks!

2. Banned
    Very good to rebuild but seems just a little high for a rebuild. There is an 1993 XR6 150hp locally here on CL that is a little over 4k with controls, jack plate, and hot foot. I went and took a look and it checked out but I am an OMC guy (I don't know why, just what I grew up with) but those Merc's are good motors.

3. Member
    Depends on the extent of the rebuild. I just had a 2003 ox66 rebuilt from the prop up, new gears, ignition/ecm, gaskets/seals, reeds, bearings, rods, pistons, block machined, trim/tilt, pumps, all for 6k. If the shop is just honing the cylinders 5k is a bit over the top.

4. Banned
    Need to know the scope of work.

Given the limited stock of New Motors, rebuild would be a very good option.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

6. Member
    If that 93 lasted this long, yes its worth it. What else can you get for 5K ?

7. Banned
    It might not even need a complete rebuild. As long as there is no cylinder damage it could just be worn rings. A simple hone and new rings could bring compression back up.