250 XB Lower unit

I am looking for a 250XB lower unit drive shaft p/n 848831. These are no longer in production. SEI does not make one. My current drive shaft has a speedy sleeve installed where the water seal runs. It is working for now, but for how long.
    I am also curious if anyone has successfully installed a different part number 1.75 gear ratio lower unit on the 250XB than what came out of the factory.
    Shaft part number 848831 is a relatively short shaft compared to other lower units. There is only about 9" of shaft above the lower unit mounting flange. The engine then uses a coupling and additional shaft that in all total is about 23" from the mating flange.

2. Member
    no drive shafts and wouldnt repair it with one , but i have installed hundreds of later model torque master gearcases and verado style cases in place of the torque nasty , that 2 piece system high carbon steel shaft is the demise of many a failed gearcase
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Do you know if the 250XB torque master was a Gen I or Gen II.
    And, are you saying if I purchase the correct Gen lower unit with a one piece drive shaft it will bolt up to my engine? Is the total shaft length and spline going to be the same?

4. Member
    You need part # 8M0072952 good luck finding a new one, Defiantly some used ones floating around.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by madkins3138 View Post
    Do you know if the 250XB torque master was a Gen I or Gen II.
    And, are you saying if I purchase the correct Gen lower unit with a one piece drive shaft it will bolt up to my engine? Is the total shaft length and spline going to be the same?
    yes i am , GEN I is what you have and what you need ,,,, what boat you got , capable of over 80 mph ?????? if not would use a verado style gearcase much better gearing and bearing set up in it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You know- someone that knows what they're doing building one of those Gen-1 Torquemaster gearcases can easily retrofit that Gen-1 with a later model, one-piece driveshaft, and do-away with the old multi-piece (high dollar) pieces all together.

Done it dozens of times.

BTW... SEI should not be on your list of parts suppliers.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I may have both of the two piece shafts and coupling, it would be Monday before I can check

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    yes i am , GEN I is what you have and what you need ,,,, what boat you got , capable of over 80 mph ?????? if not would use a verado style gearcase much better gearing and bearing set up in it
    Its on a 2002 nitro 929. It used to run 80 mph but I'm older now and that doesn't mean as much.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fish stick View Post
    I may have both of the two piece shafts and coupling, it would be Monday before I can check
    If you have them that would be great.

Also, thanks to everyone for their input. I see options that I did know I had.

10. Member
    I would not use the 2 piece shaft. You can get the newer 1 piece and while at it put the 1 1/4 propshaft in it also.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You know- someone that knows what they're doing building one of those Gen-1 Torquemaster gearcases can easily retrofit that Gen-1 with a later model, one-piece driveshaft, and do-away with the old multi-piece (high dollar) pieces all together.

Done it dozens of times.
    The 8M0072952 gear case mentioned above is for a 250 Pro XS 3.0 L. Is the drive shaft from that engine p/n 881938 plug and play for the two piece shaft.

12. Member
    sure is GEN 1 torque master direct replacement for yours, major shimming required to install that shaft in your gearcase extensive knowledge and special tools required for that install

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor