150 merc pro xs four stoke opinions

Thinking of repowering my boat with new 150 xs 4 stroke. I have a 03 stratos 201 xl pro with a 225 yamaha vmax of same year. This thing loves gas. It will do mid 60's on the water but I very rarely attempt going that fast. Saw an opportunity to get a merc in the mid 13's. Just curious if anyone has a larger boat with a 150 and are happy with it and the fuel economy they get with the power and fuel economy. I recently had my motor almost cost me a trip on st claire when my fuel pump diaphrams went out on me. Took a couple days and some serious trouble shooting to fine the problem but was thinking an upgrade might be in order. Or what is your opinions on other brands as well.

2. Member
    absolutely no way id put a 150 on aboat rated for 225 or higher , think youll be disappointed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    More than disappointed- you'll almost certainly be in the REMORSE category. About like pulling two plug wires off of your current engine and trying to run it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I think it would be a huge mistake. 4 stroke pro xs is a beast, but a 150 on that boat would be a sad sight. I would either live with the 225 on there now, or bite the bullet and get a 225 4 stroke, but no way Id run a 150 on that boat.
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    More than disappointed- you'll almost certainly be in the REMORSE category. About like pulling two plug wires off of your current engine and trying to run it.
    An excellent explanation by the man who would know better than anyone.

I concur 100%.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

6. Member
    Even at today's prices, you can buy a lot of gas for $13,500.

7. Member
    I also concur: Listen to Don and Joe as they have been there, done that!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    An excellent explanation by the man who would know better than anyone.

I concur 100%.

8. Member
    Go find a gently used Opti Pro XS 225, probably plenty of them out there from repowers.