Warm muddy water in MS - how would you fish it?

Impounded watershed
    Muddy (6-12" visibility)
    65-70 degree water
    Mid-May so post spawn
    Lots of fishing pressure for both bass and crappie
    Cypress trees, brush, deep water rip rap birm, shallow flats, points both shallow and deep

How would you fish it?

I have been trying spinnerbaits and t-rig around cypress trees with weak results.

Chatterbait would be the first thing I throw, assuming you can get it through the brush. If not, maybe look toward something like the Crosseye model with a weedguard? Those things are really tough to beat in dirty water.

I've only fished around cypress trees a couple times, but I know I've seen a lot of pros I would consider experts with that type of cover do well on big squarebills.

You can never go wrong with a buzzbait, particularly trying to find productive areas. No better way on the planet to cover water in my opinion!

Flipping/pitching shallow cover would be the other thing I'd try right away. Muddy water, they should be pretty shallow! I also think you'd be going for reaction bites in dirtier water--a pitch, hop, reel it in and repeat scenario. I've personally not had nearly as much luck actually working a bait through cover in dirty water as I have just dropping it on them...more drops the better is the approach I've always taken there.

Generally speaking, they should be tight to cover, I would think you'd want to be deflecting your moving baits off stuff as much as possible. "Steering" them with your rod tip can be super effective.

Any vegetation? If so, double down on the chatterbait in those areas!
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 05-11-2022 at 10:23 AM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Skipping chatterbaits, swimjigs and flukes around cypress trees might very well be my favorite way to fish. I wish we had cypress up north. Muddy water = black and blue in my book. Don't ignore the outside edges of the cypress - those knees stick out as far as the canopy of the tree and are great places for a bass to tuck into.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 05-11-2022 at 03:31 PM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    I fished Sardis last week, caught 4 over 4, 1 5 pounder and 1 pig around 6 in a few hours. None of the females showed any sign that they had spawned yet. Picked off a few males and females off or close to beds I suspect. But you know you can't see 6 inches this time of year. All big fish came on black blue 3/8 jig with a rattle and rage type craw.
    Caught some small males I presume on chart/white spinner baits.
    No fish were deeper than 2-3 feet, but near deeper water. Nothing in the backs of creeks.
    As warm as it's been things will change fast.

5. Member
    Thanks all. Gonna give it a try this weekend.

6. Member
    black and blue swim jig with black rage tail chunk. bright 1.5 sq bill, 3/8 oz black/blue jig with black rage tail chunk
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

7. Member
    We managed to catch a few on frogs, buzzbaits and spinnerbaits (man do I love a good frog bite).

8. Member
    B&B jigs, frogs and buzzbaits would definitely be on my list...and slow waking full sized Buzzjets and baits like the Jackall Mikey Jr...just have to be cautious casting these lures in tight spots with the open trebles.

9. Member

USA Start skipping some shade

Find you as much shade as possible. Even a 1 degree water temp change makes a difference in the swamp. Pick up a 3/8oz flipping jig and get to work! I prefer the Tungsten jig from Onida Outdoors because it skips like a rock, has a good Mustad hook, and the head is a smaller diameter thanks to the denser metal. This keeps it from getting snagged on cypress knees as much as a traditional jig. https://onidaoutdoors.com/tungstenji...n-flipping-jig

Chartreuse 1/2oz spinner bait with Gold Colorado blades and a Smoke/Black Yamamoto Single tail Grub. Look for transition areas especially shade lines and water color changes. Don't forget noisy top water baits too ! Especially a Black Buzz Bait
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents