Solix and Ulterra side imaging problem

Hello,
    Hoping to find some help.

Everything worked last season perfectly. Graphs were put away and kept warm all winter in this tundra hole I live in.

On the bow is a Solix 12 MDI G2. Also a MinnKota Ulterra 112 MSI.
    Solix 12 SI on the dash.
    Everything is networked.

For some reason, the bow Solix 12 MDI G2 now refuses to connect to the side imaging on the Ulterra. It won't let me select this as an option in sonar settings, and it had sent error messages asking to connect to the bow Solix 12 SI and transducer at rear of boat.

The down imaging and regular sonar options work fine on the Ulterra.

I inspected all pins, connections, everything. I cannot find any problems.

I swapped the Solix SI head to the bow, and this will allow me to select to use the Ulterra side imaging without issues. With this in mind, the Solix MDI G2 clearly has an issue somewhere as it won't acknowledge the SI option on the Ulterra.

I went through and reset the default settings without success.
    I updated all the software in the Ulterra and the Solix's to 4.020

Hard reset?

Any help is much appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I'm no expert but I would save my waypoints to an SD card then reset Nav Data. Its has solved many issues. Hope this helps

3. Member
    I tried resetting that, along with everything I could try to reset. I don't have any data to lose as it is a new-to-me boat and there was no real data to begin with.

Is there any way to hard reset a Solix? Disadvantages to doing so?

You have an SI transducer in your motor. Is that connected to your SI Solix at the dash?
    What transducer is connected to the DI Solix on the bow?

If you have a Minnkota Built-in MSI transducer connected to a MDI display, that does not add SI to the DI unit.
    Your only source for SI on the DI unit is the networked SI unit's processed data.

If you want to use the SI piezos in the Minnkota MSI transducer, you have to connect a Side Imaging unit to the Minnkota MSI transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Sorry, fishing opened back up, dealing with storm damage issues..ugh...

I apologize as I am learning Humminbirds...I've been a Lowrance guy all my life. I bought this boat last August, it came rigged with the bow Solix 12 G2 connected to the Ulterra MSI and it worked fine last year, I had great side imaging with this combo, and I could swear it was working! Every time the Ulterra head moved, it showed me accurate side imaging. I never received any pop up messaging telling me I have a problem and I need to select transducers like I have to now.

I have the Mega Side Imaging Ulterra. It came connected to the Solix 12 G2 on the bow. I am also able to connect to the trolling motor via network to the dash Solix 12, but it will not allow me to select as long as the G2 is connected in the network

Are you telling me that it shouldn't work because the G2 is not a SI capable graph?

I have tried to connect the Solix 12 SI (dash) to the SI on the Ulterra thru the Sonar Source Select settings, and it will not allow me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBIR View Post
    Sorry, fishing opened back up, dealing with storm damage issues..ugh...

I apologize as I am learning Humminbirds...I've been a Lowrance guy all my life. I bought this boat last August, it came rigged with the bow Solix 12 G2 connected to the Ulterra MSI and it worked fine last year, I had great side imaging with this combo, and I could swear it was working! Every time the Ulterra head moved, it showed me accurate side imaging. I never received any pop up messaging telling me I have a problem and I need to select transducers like I have to now.

I have the Mega Side Imaging Ulterra. It came connected to the Solix 12 G2 on the bow. I am also able to connect to the trolling motor via network to the dash Solix 12, but it will not allow me to select as long as the G2 is connected in the network

Are you telling me that it shouldn't work because the G2 is not a SI capable graph?

I have tried to connect the Solix 12 SI (dash) to the SI on the Ulterra thru the Sonar Source Select settings, and it will not allow me.
    You cannot connect to another unit's transducer via networking==transducers are directly connected to a unit. You can only share processed data between units.
    If your bow SOLIX is a DI unit, it has no SI to share. What model is it?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Bow is a Solix 12 MDI+G2 (I attached a photo in my first post showing the 2 graphs and sonar settings).

The bow Solix will display side imaging from the rear transducer that is connected to the Solix 12 SI on the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBIR View Post
    Bow is a Solix 12 MDI+G2 (I attached a photo in my first post showing the 2 graphs and sonar settings).

The bow Solix will display side imaging from the rear transducer that is connected to the Solix 12 SI on the dash.

I already stated what your MEGA DI unit cannot do=it cannot be a SI unit.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Chuck. You have 2 choices for si up front. Share the si from the SI unit(transducer on the back) OR Buy an SI ( CHO unit)unit and hook it to the trolling motor up front. Not confusing. Some things can’t be done with the wrong unit for the trolling motor. Bob
    Last edited by bobcoy; 05-18-2022 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Added CHO
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

11. Member
    Thank you so much for helping me out you all, I NOW get it.
    At the same time I posted this question, I sent this same question to Humminbird, and they told me I need to send the unit in for service. I did not realize Humminbird made different models like this.

When I used the boat last year I could swear it worked, so I was confused, but I was learning this new-to-me 'bird technology.
    Thanks again!

12. Member
    Another work around could be switching the units when you most want Si on the front. Pretty easy since you have all you need on both ends of the boat for SI. I wish I had the MSI. Minn Kota did not offer that when I bought mine. There is much to learn with all the options we have available today. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go