Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS

New Bowhunting Property

Bowhunting brings many Up & Downs.

I have been working a 1660ac property for 8 years and have grown some incredible bucks and have taken a few, but this year, I lost the lease to a new son-in-law family member. Hated loosing it but this has opened doors for new chapters in hunting for me. I partnered with a few friends for a 3800ac tract that is such a breath of fresh air and the challenge to figure it out will be fun. I have spent a few days on it and it has potential. This issue is quality food. I'm trying to find out where on the property is a good place for plots and feed but I have cattle to work around from April to Sept. I have setup some mineral spots and hope I chose well so the cattle will not beat it down. Working in Jan/Feb on the place was perfect to see how the deer use the place. I have set 4 stands so far and have about 3 more areas to set up in. During my few visits I have found a handful of sheds with the best being about a 140" pair. Its a lot of fun and am mostly solo and love the solitude but also enjoy friends hunting as well. I hope to post a solid buck this year off it and probably going to take the first 150" I see. I'm usually very picky. Wish me luck as its starting now.

What do you guys do on a new property to get a jump start?
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

2. Member
    Your property in Kansas is not far from mine if I remember right. I also ran into the same issues with the rest of the family farm. They are all pissed at me since I refuse to run cattle or burn a 200 acre tract that I have dedicated just to huntin. Like you, I was out there in January working on it. I was pretty lucky to have a good neighbor bush hog a 6 acre bottom field for me that I finally got a really good stand of clover in. With mine growing up thick with a good plot, multiple mineral sites and plenty of good water I am hoping to have another great season. I am already seeing more game than last year since the neighbors to the north burnt off over 1000 acres.

20xdBake - What type of clover did you plant and any prep?
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

4. Member
    I planted white ladino, I sprayed with glyphosate late in the fall and mixed in calcium and kept it cut close and frost seeded in January. It has struggled this spring since they had such dry weather but those rains the past few weeks shot it up. I went out Easter weekend and sprayed it with clethodium to kill any grass and mixed plot boost in it, it has grown 6" since then.

The Ladino works ok for me. I simply overseed tilled areas. I have a new place I'm tossing Durana its a small place so we see.

6. mikesxpress
    James I have a couple established clover plots in open power line areas and planted (new to me) arrow leaf clover in a 2 acre trac that normally got buckwheat for summer. I'm trying to reduce my yearly planting efforts and get more self sustaining crops in place.

7. Member
    Fixation Balanza is my go too since red went to over $4/#
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

Never used arrow clover and have not had good luck with red clover. Is the Arrow hardy and do they eat it?

The Duran is suppose to last a few years and tolerate drought good so I kind of like that.

This is one field of red and white and it grows well. I never get to mow it but deer like it. I basically throw out yearly it and it grows. I don't have this spot anymore :(

So starting a new place kind of sucks but will be fun if I can establish areas. I'm considering a clover Alfalfa mix. I usually rim the farmers crops which has worked great in the past.

Clover patch.jpg

9. Member
    That looks pretty good. I had to spray a lot to kill the serecia(spelling?) before I could frost seed mine. Last year was the first year and it came in patches but this year it is pretty thick and the neighbor will mow for me this week.

Its hard to make it great without a little TLC. That's hard to do when property is so far away. I do what I can but its just me nobody else and you know that's work... Love the work just don't have the time. Im gonna try clover/Alfalfa this year. Hope to plant it in next week or two. My farmer just planted beans and as mentioned I love to rim plant the fields.

Quote Originally Posted by 20xdBake View Post
    That looks pretty good. I had to spray a lot to kill the serecia(spelling?) before I could frost seed mine. Last year was the first year and it came in patches but this year it is pretty thick and the neighbor will mow for me this week.

11. Member
    Honestly you are to late in the year in my opinion to plant either of those in SE Kansas. It will get very hot and dry there soon so those will fail. I would wait and do in the fall. I would add some rye grass or something with it to help jump start it as well.
    One of my big plots here a couple years ago I disked and planted turnips and wheat. Let the turnips go to rot in the ground and disked again and seeded alfalfa and had the best alfalfa plot I ever had. I never could grow it and my old farmer neighbor told me to do it and it worked.

It’s tough to compete with the commercial row crop farmers in the area that I hunt in North Central Kansas. Winter wheat and Milo by the thousands of acres trump any small food plot that you can plant. The farm that I hunt on is 640 acres and roughly 500 is row crop. There is just so much for them to eat that I doubt any food plot would get much traffic.

Alfalfa might be a good option for you especially if you’re hunting early on in the season. I would pick that over any clover option personally.

13. mikesxpress

20xdBake - I can only plant when the farmers till it up. I have a guy lives close that seeds it for me on a hand toss basis. I believe the later sometimes is better as it blooms later so is good later in the year. I like the farmer planting later but as you mentioned water is the issue. My little corners get shad and holds moisture and a good bit is in full sun. Well se this is fiorst time planting any alfalfa. Just wanted something diff then what others have.

Mike - Ill grab some arrow and try and mix it in as I like the protein content and drought tolerance.

I have some stuff out already just contemplating crop rimming and maybe some open areas. Probably a total of about 3 acres.

15. Member
    Two options for this time of year. If you really want to PLANT a food plot in late spring. Get a bag of Birdfood from the local farm store. Broadcast 15# to the acre. It'll do everything you want and you'll look like a genius infront of your hunting buddies.
    The other option is a hand sprayer with a couple ounces of glysophate Simply spray out pockets of grass and get weeds and forbes to come back. Don't tell your landowner and they'll never know you planted a food plot on them.
    You seriously don't have to PLANT food plots for deer. It's in the seed bank in the ground and it's FREE! Much higher protein and tonnage that any big buck on a bag food plot seed.
    It sounds like you don't have a food problem. I would focus on cover and go to work with the back pack sprayer.

PS my new son in law would not be at Christmas dinner.
    Last edited by Babe Winkleworm; 05-20-2022 at 06:39 AM.

Thanks guys for the dialog. Always pick up some knowledge by simple questions and dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    Thanks guys for the dialog. Always pick up some knowledge by simple questions and dialog.
    Always learning! Just picked up a lease in IL, getting some good ideas.
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

Nice, Pretty exciting stuff, How big a lease and tell us about it.

IL is a non bait state so you need a lot of cams to take inventory. I have hunted Adams Co and it was fun but just did not see the one. My friend with me did but we ate tags. All I saw was < 140 class. The farm I was on was transient not a lot of contiguous woods. Stay close to the creak thickets.

Cant post vids or id show you a stalk I did on a upper 130's buck to within 20y. Easy shot but a pass.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by J D View Post
    Always learning! Just picked up a lease in IL, getting some good ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    Nice, Pretty exciting stuff, How big a lease and tell us about it.

IL is a non bait state so you need a lot of cams to take inventory. I have hunted Adams Co and it was fun but just did not see the one. My friend with me did but we ate tags. All I saw was < 140 class. The farm I was on was transient not a lot of contiguous woods. Stay close to the creak thickets.

Cant post vids or id show you a stalk I did on a upper 130's buck to within 20y. Easy shot but a pass.

GL
    Got very lucky with this place. I've traveled to IL for nearly 20 years now to hunt with a buddy from our military days. He has a couple of farms in the family. Some amazing deer have been taken over the years including a 218 non typical by my friends son.
    He has a close friend that was looking for a partner on 180 acres of river bottom in Knox county. No brainer... I'm in. It's mostly river bottom that splits the property along with CRP and row crops bordering it. I've been on the property once before helping track a deer... amazing sign everywhere. He runs video cameras and there is no shortage of very nice bucks, including some bruisers. I am really looking forward to learning it!
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

That's the fun right there!

Quote Originally Posted by J D View Post
    Got very lucky with this place. I've traveled to IL for nearly 20 years now to hunt with a buddy from our military days. He has a couple of farms in the family. Some amazing deer have been taken over the years including a 218 non typical by my friends son.
    He has a close friend that was looking for a partner on 180 acres of river bottom in Knox county. No brainer... I'm in. It's mostly river bottom that splits the property along with CRP and row crops bordering it. I've been on the property once before helping track a deer... amazing sign everywhere. He runs video cameras and there is no shortage of very nice bucks, including some bruisers. I am really looking forward to learning it!