Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any fish report on Kerr Lake lately?

Have a small club tourney there this weekend... Looking like I better check the rain suit out too.
    Last edited by tinybounce; 05-10-2022 at 09:16 AM.

2. Member
    Where are you guys launching from? We have a club tournament there also this weekend going out of Longwood. The BFL is going out of Nutbush this weekend too.

3. Member
    Yep I have heard about both of those tourneys too, we going out of Hibernia ramp.

4. Banned
    We were up there all of last week and left on Friday morning to come home. Probably averaged fishing about 6 hours each day. Had only one day i did really well. Caught them on on just about anything but the blade was my best and the c-rig was next. Stayed in the Satterwhite/Nutbsh area all week. Saw bedding fish and lots of small bass(10"-14") in the backs of cuts off the main lake just about every day. Water was stained pretty good in some areas and slightly stained in most. Water level was consistent from 61degrees to around 69 degrees. Took me five days to find a really good spot that held several good fish in the 3-5 pound range. Was hoping for a good top water bite but never found one myself. Good luck in your tourney.

5. Member
    [QUOTE=dwmgg17;12487726]We were up there all of last week and left on Friday morning to come home. Probably averaged fishing about 6 hours each day. Had only one day i did really well. Caught them on on just about anything but the blade was my best and the c-rig was next. Stayed in the Satterwhite/Nutbsh area all week. Saw bedding fish and lots of small bass(10"-14") in the backs of cuts off the main lake just about every day. Water was stained pretty good in some areas and slightly stained in most. Water level was consistent from 61degrees to around 69 degrees. Took me five days to find a really good spot that held several good fish in the 3-5 pound range. Was hoping for a good top water bite but never found one myself. Good luck in your tourney.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info, that will b very helpful. !

6. Member
    BFL’s(Saturday and Sunday), Piedmont Bass at Flemingtown, my old club at Ivy Hill and the ABA I’m fishing out of Island Creek. Gonna be busy

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howard47 View Post
    BFL’s(Saturday and Sunday), Piedmont Bass at Flemingtown, my old club at Ivy Hill and the ABA I’m fishing out of Island Creek. Gonna be busy
    Howard I have been hearing that. And with that said it has been crazy like that since covid. The past few years tourneys I have fished it has been so crazy just trying to find some where to fish, they really need to regulate how many boats and tourneys they allow on a body of water. Apparently its all about the money, I have no desire to wait in line to fish a stretch of docks or points, I will just stop the tournament deal and just fun fish, Has to be cheaper !!! There is no way Kerr Lake can handle that many boats weekend after weekend.! Just don't make any sense.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinybounce View Post
    Howard I have been hearing that. And with that said it has been crazy like that since covid. The past few years tourneys I have fished it has been so crazy just trying to find some where to fish, they really need to regulate how many boats and tourneys they allow on a body of water. Apparently its all about the money, I have no desire to wait in line to fish a stretch of docks or points, I will just stop the tournament deal and just fun fish, Has to be cheaper !!! There is no way Kerr Lake can handle that many boats weekend after weekend.! Just don't make any sense.
    I don't think it's "All about the money". Theres no charge or fee to use a NC Wildlife ramp so theres no money to be made there. Not sure if there's a fee for using Nutbush or not. If you're talking about the tournament trails making money... It would highly benefit them to schedule around other competing trails so they can maximize their participation.

Honestly, I think its on the tournament directors. If you know you're going to have more than 30 boats for an event, it should be your responsibility to research and find out what else is going on in the area before making a schedule. If you're unsure about another trails schedule then you should literally call them and work together so you don't schedule on top of each other.

The BFL schedule has been out since October. Other tournament directors should have scheduled around it. Not just for the good of the lake, but for their own benefit. I would imagine the ABA and Piedmont numbers will be down a bit because guys would prefer to the fish BFL.

All that being said, Kerr Lake is 50,000 acres and spreads out very well in my opinion.
    Last edited by jeffreydavisjr; 05-12-2022 at 12:29 PM.
    2023 Ranger Z520R - Mercury ProXS 250 HP
    Collins Boating Pro Staff - Smithfield, North Carolina
    JeffreyDavisFishing.com
    | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | NC Bass Challenge

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tinybounce View Post
    Well let's see. The BFL will have 150+ boats, Piedmont will have 80+, ABA might have 30 and the clubs might have 50 at most. So let say 300 boats just for easy math. Kerr has 850 miles of just shore line. That lake is plenty big enough to support these boats.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreydavisjr View Post
    I don't think it's "All about the money". Theres no charge or fee to use a NC Wildlife ramp so theres no money to be made there. Not sure if there's a fee for using Nutbush or not. If you're talking about the tournament trails making money... It would highly benefit them to schedule around other competing trails so they can maximize their participation.

Honestly, I think its on the tournament directors. If you know you're going to have more than 30 boats for an event, it should be your responsibility to research and find out what else is going on in the area before making a schedule. If you're unsure about another trails schedule then you should literally call them and work together so you don't schedule on top of each other.

The BFL schedule has been out since October. Other tournament directors should have scheduled around it. Not just for the good of the lake, but for their own benefit. I would imagine the ABA and Piedmont numbers will be down a bit because guys would prefer to the fish BFL.

All that being said, Kerr Lake is 50,000 acres and spreads out very well in my opinion.
    spot on... all it takes is some consideration for other trails already using the lake on that date... there are several Medium size Trails that give ZERO Shi*s about what other tourneys are going on...not gonna sit here and call names or throw punches but its really easy to GOOGLE tourney schedules...at least pay attention to the big ones such as a BFL...
    one of the reason's i got out of the club i grew up in, was they had zero concern with other tourney's schedules...all they new was they wanted to fish on certain dates on certain bodies of water, because 40 years ago some of the members weighed in a big sack on that date/lake...LOL...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    spot on... all it takes is some consideration for other trails already using the lake on that date... there are several Medium size Trails that give ZERO Shi*s about what other tourneys are going on...not gonna sit here and call names or throw punches but its really easy to GOOGLE tourney schedules...at least pay attention to the big ones such as a BFL...
    one of the reason's i got out of the club i grew up in, was they had zero concern with other tourney's schedules...all they new was they wanted to fish on certain dates on certain bodies of water, because 40 years ago some of the members weighed in a big sack on that date/lake...LOL...
    now that i think about it, thats the same thing as when you get to the ramp to put your boat in/pick your partner up from parking the truck, and a bunch of wise a*ses are tied up to the end of the access dock and are Daring you to bump their boat even though they are OBVIOUSLY in the way... I guess they just want you to JUMP into theirs and step on their rods to climb over and get into your partners boat...lol...

12. Member
    In Missouri we all would dump our boats if alone and then walk down and hitch a ride to your boat. I’ve seen 31 boats floating at one time driverless. Specially on those solo pro tournaments we had. We never block a ramp to keep the flow flowing.

13. Mike Lamb
    That sounds like the ABA. I have had few run in with them. Blocking the only tie up dock and up on the ramp shooting the shit.

Maybe it is another that is like that. I dont know. But if ABA is out or using the same ramp as i. I look for another place.

Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    now that i think about it, thats the same thing as when you get to the ramp to put your boat in/pick your partner up from parking the truck, and a bunch of wise a*ses are tied up to the end of the access dock and are Daring you to bump their boat even though they are OBVIOUSLY in the way... I guess they just want you to JUMP into theirs and step on their rods to climb over and get into your partners boat...lol...
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

Quote Originally Posted by mike28nc View Post
    That sounds like the ABA. I have had few run in with them. Blocking the only tie up dock and up on the ramp shooting the shit.

Maybe it is another that is like that. I dont know. But if ABA is out or using the same ramp as i. I look for another place.

15. Member
    Maybe instead of people building 200+ housing developments in and around the NC area, we should all get together and say screw the housing developments and build a Lake! Thats my 2 cents.

16. Member
    CATT championship (200 boats) Elite 70 (70 boats) and a bojangles tournament (50-70 boats) plus several other smaller tournaments I know about this weekend on kerr. Be really close to 400 tournament boats there this weekend. Throw in your recreational fisherman and it gets small quicker than you would think. I 100% agree the corps should limit the number of tournament permits they give out per month. No way anyone can agree that this is good for the lake and its like this mid march through June every year...

17. Member
    Been fishing the lake for the past 3 weeks.It’s been a madhouse the past 2 weekends - You literally have to wait in line to fish a point. Most of the anglers have been respectful. I have definitely noticed that the fish know when the weekend rolls around.

18. Fishing is a Passion
    I am at the lake today. When I say every point, I mean every point. Some longer points there is a bass boat fishing in close and another out deep. I am guessing 300-400 competition boats will be on the lake this weekend. Someone will still catch them. Good luck to all. Catch your fish early or none at all. Water does look good. Found 76% temp. Lots of dinks which is good for the fishery.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

19. Member
    Agree with Johnny. Kerr was packed today. Bite was tough too.

20. Member
    yesterday was definitely packed. i just sit on one spot and watched one boat fish and then another come right thru and catch fish. just gotta hit them at the rigth time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast