CAROLINA RIG FLOATING BAIT options

looking to fish suspending jerk/crankbaits on carolina rig.
    fishing speckled trout and reds in south Louisiana.
    not many rocks or structure, but heavy bottoms of oyster shells.
    feel like if i can drag weight slowly over shells with bait off the bottom might catch
    read about adding rubber ear plugs in front of bait to raise off the ground, anybody with any experience with this set up let me know.
    thanks
    john

This might help. I often use a three way swivel on a C-rig.
    Tie your mainline to one ring, on another ring tie a leader to a swivel casting weight, tie your normal leader to your lure and your set.
    It works really well especially around zebra mussels and rock. Plus I can use a braid mainline with it and it won't get destroyed.
    "If It Ain't Broke, You're Not Trying"- Red Green

3. Member
    Crusher Lures has a C Rig system that involves a small floating bead.

Back in my PNW steelhead fishing days, there were some guys that ran foam earplugs on their drift rigs to float egg clusters. If you're using bait, it should work.

I used these (Corkies).

Worden's Lil' Corky | Cabela's (cabelas.com)

Look up walleye fishing with a 3-way rig. It sounds exactly like what you're wanting to do, and is very much in line with what Sharpcard mentions. I'd probably go for a floating crankbait or jerkbait as opposed to a suspending one though; use the weight to get it down and it will still dive as you work it, but suspending models are likely to dig into the bottom and stay there. (And maybe that's your plan? Your title suggests a floating bait, but your post said suspending).

A good writeup on the technique:
    https://www.rapala.com/rapala-Three-...eye-video.html

They also often use floating jigheads for this. It's essentially a normal looking jighead with foam molded around the hook instead of lead. If you're using live bait at all, I think that'd be a really good thing to look into for your application. The only wild card is that the hooks on jigheads built for walleye may not be up to snuff for mean saltwater fish.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    You can add buoyancy. Tackle warehouse carries the product...is pre-cut & adhesive neoprene that sticks on your lure...the opposite of suspend dots. Works great Zappu Floating Board!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpcard View Post
    This might help. I often use a three way swivel on a C-rig.
    Tie your mainline to one ring, on another ring tie a leader to a swivel casting weight, tie your normal leader to your lure and your set.
    It works really well especially around zebra mussels and rock. Plus I can use a braid mainline with it and it won't get destroyed.
    We call that a Wolf River Rig, used to use it all the time when I'd go fishing with my dad haven't used one in a while...great rig for slow trolling for walleye and white bass (really anything will hit it) usually have a floating jighead with a minnow. We'd occasionally put a floating rapala on it in Canada when we'd run out of live bait.

8. Member
    Thanks okie2,looked at zappu and think i might try that for some of my sinking crankbaits.
    john

9. Member
    You can get sheets of foam different thickness and colors with adhesive backing at craft stores

If you can find them... Ragetail shrimp float and are elaztec. Shhhhh
    0G886873 Mercury Serial Number
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera III with 200 Merc

As webertime noted above, Z Man's Elaztech baits will float. Instead of a 3-way swivel, take a piece of clear IV tubing 4"-6" long and put it on your main line before tying on your c-rig. It will keep your main line from fraying in the rocks and zebra mussels.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Why not just carolina rig a floating rapala? Ive done it for years and it works fine.