Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Caracal on a Single Axle Trailer?

Is the Caracal too big & heavy for a single axle trailer? Can it be ordered with one?

So I'm starting to look at boats a little bigger and wider than my PII, but I have some limitations with my driveway and where I park my boat and need a single axle trailer for maneuverability. Looks like I could fit a Caracal in my garage, but getting it up my driveway would be really challenging with a dual axle trailer! I've thought about a Pantera Classic, but after seeing one up close, I don't think it's that much different than my PII. And I'm looking for something more stable on the water with the trolling motor down...
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

2. Member
    If Basscat still offers the pop axil that would be the way to go for you. Pop axils were installed on a tandem axil trailer to turn a tandem axil trailer into a single axil trailer for what you are needing. Basically the front axil lifts up lifting the front tires off the ground for easier movement in tight spaces.

3. Scraps
    If there is anybody I'd trust doing that it would be BCB. Ranger used to sell 519s with single axle trailers.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    If there is anybody I'd trust doing that it would be BCB. Ranger used to sell 519s with single axle trailers.
    Yeah, I've actually been looking around some and you can still get a Ranger 519 on a single axle trailer. Looks like Nitro will sell the Z19 on one if you order it that way. And I think Triton will also sell you a 19 TRX on a single axle. Other than those, it doesn't seem like other legit 19' boats come on a single axle trailer. I've even been contemplating the Triton 18 TRX or Ranger Z518 because they are rated for a 200 HP motor...but I'd really like to stay with a Bass Cat and the Caracal is the only offering that fits.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

5. Scraps
    I just think the reason you don't see more 225HP boats with single axle trailers is that they're just not popular. So dealers sell what sells. I have known a rare few people that argue not needing a tandem trailer for 19/20 foot boats.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

6. Member
    My 20ss stratos had a single axle. Had it for 21 yrs. Never any issues. But ran the best tires and took good care of the bearings also
    Last edited by mactlman; 05-09-2022 at 04:39 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    My 20ss stratos had a single axle. Had ot for 21 yrs. Never any issues. But ran the best tires and tool good care of the bearings also
    Good points about the tires and bearings...would need to keep the maintenance up on the trailer for sure.

I also have found in my searches that Ranger sold quite a few Z20 models on a single axle trailer back in the mid/late 2000's. Those were 20'5" hulls rated for 225 HP motors. The Ranger Z119 is another one that came after the Z20 and that's a 19'6" boat rated for a 225 HP as well. So there are some older options, but I'm probably going to get something newer.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub_176 View Post
    If Basscat still offers the pop axil that would be the way to go for you. Pop axils were installed on a tandem axil trailer to turn a tandem axil trailer into a single axil trailer for what you are needing. Basically the front axil lifts up lifting the front tires off the ground for easier movement in tight spaces.
    Interesting...never heard of those before.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

9. Member
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these help move tandems around also get 4 and can move it any direction on a good floor
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Member

11. Member
    I'm in the same position as you. I have a side stall garage angled 90 degrees to my driveway and the garage is only 20 feet long (luckily I have 2 stalls to work with). I'm currently in an old PII but am looking to upgrade in the next few years.

I know for a fact based on responses from the factory that you can get a Pantera Classic with a single axle although I have not asked about the Caracal. The Phoenix 819/919/19 PHX can also be ordered with a single axle trailer. The Ranger Z519 comes standard with a single axle trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these help move tandems around also get 4 and can move it any direction on a good floor
    Yeah, those are cool and will help in the garage, but my real issue is the driveway to the garage! I have a steep uphill driveway that I need to angle into. Then a narrow 40' long passage before getting to the garage. I can do it with my PII no problem, but a bigger boat is going to be tighter for sure. And I don't think I can make the uphill stretch at the angle required with a dual axle...or it will at least be hard enough that there is a strong chance of me damaging something trying to get it in there after a long day of fishing!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

Quote Originally Posted by jpd_hack View Post
    I'm in the same position as you. I have a side stall garage angled 90 degrees to my driveway and the garage is only 20 feet long (luckily I have 2 stalls to work with). I'm currently in an old PII but am looking to upgrade in the next few years.

I know for a fact based on responses from the factory that you can get a Pantera Classic with a single axle although I have not asked about the Caracal. The Phoenix 819/919/19 PHX can also be ordered with a single axle trailer. The Ranger Z519 comes standard with a single axle trailer.
    The Classic just isn't that much different than the PII as far as stability on the water. I knew about the Ranger Z519, but not about the Phoenix models...thanks!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

14. Member
    I had a 519 with a single axle. Went through two torsion axles in five years. And several hub/ bearing assembly's. And I’m a retired carpenter/millwright with a 2021 Caracal and wouldn’t think of putting a single under a Caracal. With gear and a aluminum trailer the combination weighs 4100-4300 lbs depending on fuel on board. Tandem is the only way on a Caracal.

Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    I had a 519 with a single axle. Went through two torsion axles in five years. And several hub/ bearing assembly's. And I’m a retired carpenter/millwright with a 2021 Caracal and wouldn’t think of putting a single under a Caracal. With gear and a aluminum trailer the combination weighs 4100-4300 lbs depending on fuel on board. Tandem is the only way on a Caracal.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too...Caracal is just too big of a boat for a single axle. I'm probably keeping the PII or looking at another option with a single axle. I've also had my torsion axle replaced on my PII.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

16. Member
    I know on my tandem axle PII trailer if I raise the front jack all the way up the front two tires on the trailer are off the ground and I can easily push it into the angled position on the garage. Maybe the Caracal trailer is the same.
    Brad Krone

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater All Day View Post
    Interesting...never heard of those before.
    They had them in the 2005 range. Like I said, I don't know if they still make trailers with them, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatBrad View Post
    I know on my tandem axle PII trailer if I raise the front jack all the way up the front two tires on the trailer are off the ground and I can easily push it into the angled position on the garage. Maybe the Caracal trailer is the same.
    Thanks Brad...I'm pretty sure if I could get it to the garage, I could make it work! It's the short way from the road to the garage that's my issue - see the pics. So I have to back up and swing 90 degrees up an incline to get the boat up the driveway, then through the gate and a narrow passageway back to the garage. Then I have to angle it in the garage to make it fit and swing the tongue. I can do it with my PII on a single axle, but I'm thinking a Caracal on a dual axle is just going to be too much work. As long as this is where I park the boat, I'll have to have a single axle...

Driveway - 2.jpgDriveway - 1.jpgIn Garage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

19. Member
    Brother, that requires more back up driving skill than I have!

20. Member
    That’s quite the driveway to get through and mine is tight The Blazer 595 Pro Elite can come on a single axle. Quite honestly if I didn’t have a Cat I’d look hard at Blazer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast