Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Though I’m not sure if it’s much wider than the P2 if that’s what you’re really looking for

2. Member
    Also the Falcon F195 can be had with a single axle. As you know the worst part is other than BassCat and Skeeter I don’t think the other manufacturers make their own trailers

Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    Brother, that requires more back up driving skill than I have!
    Haha, I know right?!? When our realtor was showing us the house a few years ago, he said there was no way I was going to get my boat in that garage. I told him I could make it work and I have. But now that I'd like a little bigger & wider boat I'm going to have to rethink things...
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Also the Falcon F195 can be had with a single axle. As you know the worst part is other than BassCat and Skeeter I don’t think the other manufacturers make their own trailers
    That is another one to look at, but there are no Falcon dealers out here on the west coast.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

5. Member
    I use a set a wheel dollies on my front tires for my tandem axle Eyra. I can move it round in my garage. I have to slide it off to the side to get the cars in.

6. Member
    I have a 2011 Eyra on a single axle. Cat only did a few that I am aware of, 1 that was for Ron Pierce, and I believe another individual might have had one in addition to the one I ended up with (I am second owner purchased in 2014). I have mixed feelings about it. I have had no negative experiences with mine, and it has at least 20,000 miles on it. I monitor my axles, and end units to make sure I do not have wear, and I luckily have not had issues with deformation due to the loosening/stretching bolts some have experienced (but I check mine often). I think my experience is from being more careful with it then I would be with a dual. My negatives come from the higher consequences of a blown tire, burned up bearing, or damaged axle that you have with a single axle.

Running a boat this size is at the max of the load ranges for the axle components. Realistically you will probably tap into the safety margin of the components when you impact a bad pothole, or catch a curb.

I will almost certainly move to a dual axle for my next boat, due both to availability, but also peace of mind on long trips the extra axle gives. But I cannot say don't do it.

If you didn't hold on to boats for awhile, I would caution against a single due to resale, because it will impact interest and price you get, But I assume based on your current boat that shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by robp View Post
    I have a 2011 Eyra on a single axle. Cat only did a few that I am aware of, 1 that was for Ron Pierce, and I believe another individual might have had one in addition to the one I ended up with (I am second owner purchased in 2014). I have mixed feelings about it. I have had no negative experiences with mine, and it has at least 20,000 miles on it. I monitor my axles, and end units to make sure I do not have wear, and I luckily have not had issues with deformation due to the loosening/stretching bolts some have experienced (but I check mine often). I think my experience is from being more careful with it then I would be with a dual. My negatives come from the higher consequences of a blown tire, burned up bearing, or damaged axle that you have with a single axle.

Running a boat this size is at the max of the load ranges for the axle components. Realistically you will probably tap into the safety margin of the components when you impact a bad pothole, or catch a curb.

I will almost certainly move to a dual axle for my next boat, due both to availability, but also peace of mind on long trips the extra axle gives. But I cannot say don't do it.

If you didn't hold on to boats for awhile, I would caution against a single due to resale, because it will impact interest and price you get, But I assume based on your current boat that shouldn't be an issue.
    That's great info, thanks for sharing! Interesting that the Eyra was the model that it's ben done on...probably the lightest of the 20' hulls? I figured that any of the Bass Cat boats bigger than the Classic would be tough to do on a single axle. The Caracal is the boat that appeals to me the most, but I would need another storage solution other than what I have now. And I get what you are saying about pushing the trailer's max safety capabilities with larger boats...makes a lot of sense.

As for resale, I'm not to worried about that at this point - I'd like to find a boat that fits all my needs and then keep it. I've really enjoyed my PII and learning how to drive a boat like this, but have realized that it's not the long term boat for me. And you are spot on with the availability of single axle boats - even a lot of the 18' boats are coming with dual axle trailers now!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robp View Post

This is something that I have trouble understanding that I would love to have explained to me. I know Bass Cat no longer publishes boat weights, but a Google search shows the Eyra previously listed at 1715 lbs. Now take a Nitro Z18 or Triton 18 TrX which is listed on their specs as being 1700 (1690 for the Triton) lbs as well. Is there really that big of a concern with the limitations of the single axle when looking at an 18' vs 20' bass boat? The weight difference seems to be max 500 lbs which to my unknowledgeable perspective doesn't seem like it would be a big deal. One could easily load a boat with an extra 500 lbs of tackle, gas, power poles, etc when compared to someone else running the same model.

9. Member
    Idk. There’s a ton of 20-21’ bow riders that ride on single axle trailers. I have to believe they are as heavy as a Caracal. And you know damn well the trailer isn’t built near as well as what BassCat puts under their boats

10. Member
    This is the rating on my aluminum Caracal trailer. My rig weighs 4100-4300 depending on fuel and I confirmed these numbers on a local grain scale. Plenty of payload capacity to spare and a solid trailer.

A long time ago, I had a 20.5’ cuddy cabin on a single axle. I never thought about a tandem. I had it weighed and the whole rig was just over 5000 pounds. A Caracal is a lot lighter than that! Does BCB still do the pop axle? It would be the best solution.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    This is the rating on my aluminum Caracal trailer. My rig weighs 4100-4300 depending on fuel and I confirmed these numbers on a local grain scale. Plenty of payload capacity to spare and a solid trailer.
    For comparison, I checked my rating plate last night for my single axle.
    Max. Load Cap. 4000 LBS
    Max Gross Wt. 4900 LBS
    Applicable with ST225/75R15 Tires
    Inflated To 65 PSI.

Personally speaking from experience, I wouldn't trust the single axle trailer on any Cat that's 17'10" or longer.

https://basscat.com/wp-content/uploa...log_Online.pdf

The above link is to the 2001 Catalog. Page 10 shows a picture of the "pop axle", which is essentially a slide bar that supports the front axle and keeps the tires slightly off the ground for maneuvering like a single axle in tight spaces. Not sure if this works with the torsion axle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12