Will random orbit buffer work for waxing?

Hi all,
    Just wondering if a random orbit buffer will work for applying some light compound and polish to the boat? It is kept under a cover most of the year but needs to shine. No real areas of sun damage, but I would like it to shine. Should I got and pickup an orbital buffer or will this work?

If you’re applying compound it needs to be done with a rotary… You can apply a wax with a finishing type pad and or a microfiber bonnet with a RO/DA. In most cases a random orbit will not turn enough RPM to make the compound work as it should and burn in the finish…
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    They suck for buffing. Get a good Ol Milwaukee. And get a good wool pad, not that cheap shit. I also hit the pad with a flat head screw driver to get the compound out of it. Good times, Good times!!
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

4. Member
    I respectfully submit, I bought a RUPES Big Foot and it will polish anything. Uses much less compound, polishes in 2 steps instead of three. There are videos showing them in action. Get your VISA card out though, the cost is Salty.

5. Member
    I have a cyclo orbital and it will polish anything with the right pads and compounds.

Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    I respectfully submit, I bought a RUPES Big Foot and it will polish anything. Uses much less compound, polishes in 2 steps instead of three. There are videos showing them in action. Get your VISA card out though, the cost is Salty.
    Rupes sent me one of the BigFoot randoms and a BigFoot directional a while back. The random they sent buffed good but I couldn’t get it to go get say a 1000 grit scratch “like I wanted it to” and I couldn’t get the clearity on darker colors that I get with the pneumatic directionals I currently use. Now, they’re directional was good for me but the cost was not. Even though they sent me demos to try I could have gotten them at a really good deal but I chose to send them back. But hey you know how it is, once you have your routine, tools and certain products, that’s just your deal.
    Last edited by crank68; 05-12-2022 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Uneducated
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    Well said. We know what gets us to success.

rojo….side note. What gun do you shoot small repairs with? Small is all I really do. I stick with the 3M Accuspray. I do have an old Binks I spray with on occasion. Just looking for something else to try. Tks.
    www.ncboatguy.com

9. Member
    I'm still using the green TCB Global HVLP with 2.5 tip. A cheap gun from Amazon. Think I'm on my third one, maybe 3 years old now. It has a qt aluminum cup with a funky cap but I have a 3M adapter for their PPS system for it. The cap I replace with an extra SATA Cap that was lying around the shop. I use the PPS for small flake repairs because I blow the flake on dry onto wet clear, blow flat with a blowgun then topcoat with more clear. It's too easy to let the clear harden then throw the PPS liner away. I backwash the gun thru the adapter/cap with acetone so I'm only cleaning with a few tablespoons of acetone at a time. After 4-5 backwashes it's ready to go again. I store it with acetone in the adapter topping it off with a PPS cap. The acetone never dries out before I use it again. The first one I got the gel too hot, the Duratec was the culprit, kicks quick, almost didn't get it cleaned out. Pulled the trigger calling for gel and the cap blew off sending gelcoat droplets everywhere. Pain to police up that mess.

10. Member
    I have a griots DA and use foam pads. Works good. Porter cable 7424 is another good option
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

11. mikesxpress

12. Member
    I've has fantastic luck with 3m compound on wool pad on Dewalt 8in buffer. Then 3m perfect it machine polish on grey foam pad. Mirror finish.

On my rig it was in worse shape so I wet sanded at 600/1000/1200/1500/2000 before compounding. You shouldn't need that. And if you don't have scratches more than 1000 grit then you won't even need compound. You can machine polish it with foam pad.
    Used 3m marine wax after that. Applied by hand and removed with microfiber bonnet on DA.

But after doing this for several years now I desire something longer lasting and requiring less often applications and better protection.
    I am experimenting with ceramic coatings this year.
    Using avalon king IX. And the hybrid solutions 3in1 ceramic for maintenance.
    Cody Greenwell
    GPS/SONAR/SIDE IMAGING
    Setup Advice & On-the-Water Training

13. Member
    I'll chime in - as a car detailer, the short of it is yes, an orbital buffer will apply wax but no, it will not accomplish what you're looking to do.

If you're not experienced, STAY AWAY from a rotary buffer - you will more than likely cause some damage to the gelcoat (or paint) unless you've used one before. Buy yourself a DA Polisher and you can compound, polish and apply wax/sealant with one tool.

If you're looking make it pop on a budget, I would highly recommend either a Porter Cable 7424XP or a Griot's Garage G9 (or G8 Mini). On my boat, I personally use the G8 & G9 with 3" pads and 5" pads, respectively. You can do the entire boat with 5 or 6" pads but the top of the gunnel and smaller areas are much easier with 3" pads.

If you want to go a little higher end, you can certainly get into a Rupes Bigfoot or a Flex 3401. I use a Flex 3401 on my Truck and cars but the price isn't for the faint of heart or the once-a-year detailer.

Aside from that, get yourself an assortment of polishing pads - Lake Country CCS Pads are my personal preference.

I've heard many folks state that they do not use a clay bar on a boat. Personally, I do use a clay bar if it has been a while since a boat has been detailed. This is especially useful in removing any road grime that may be embedded in the gelcoat. The last thing you want is to be polishing your boat with rocks and sand particles.

As for compounds - for the boat I use Meguiar's M110 for really scratched and scuffed areas on an orange pad. If there is just light scratching and oxidation, try Meguiar's M210 on a white polishing pad.

It may be a bit cheaper and easier to source Meguiar's M105 and M205 and those use to be what I used exclusively until M110 and M210 came out - the newer versions dust less than the old versions and are a bit easier to remove after compounding and polishing.

Now to the wax/sealant - this is all personal preference but what I like to use are Blackfire Paint Sealant and then I top it with Optimum Spray Wax. I use the optimum every time i wipe the boat down as it has UV Inhibitors and should help to prevent oxidation in the future. Apply the sealant or wax with a red or black pad and remove by hand. The spray wax simply sprays on and remove it with a good quality microfiber towel.

Good luck on everything. Take your time and it'll turn out great!
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 6.2L Crew Cab
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro/ Mercury 200 ProXS 4s
    106SV Ultra - Helix 8 on the Console
    Helix 8/ Mega 360 - Garmin 126sv Ultra/ Live scope on the Bow
    Dual 8' Blades/ Ultrex 112/ Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    (2) Ionic 125ah/ (3) Ionic 50ah/ Power Pole Charge