Thread: Hooked hull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hooked hull

So I’ve been dealing with a lot of problems with my gambler all the way to putting in a new power head. Everyone has told me I’ve got motor problems but nothing has seemed to help it has a 250 mercury and it turn 5800 at 55mph at wot. I have figured out now that I have no bow lift which I think is the problem I have took all weight off the front of boat except for trolling motor and have trimmed it up till I start to loose water pressure with a huge rooster tail. By the way I have 25p tempest. Now I have been hearing about hull having a hook I checked mine and it does have one but I also seen some boats was made with them can anyone tell me if my 1994 gambler should have one or not

2. Member
    How long have you had this issue? There were a couple of years during that time period that Gambler had a issue with the product they were using to build the boats. Check for cracks in and around the transom and on the bottom of the boat. Boat could be taking on water and has become water logged.

as soon as i read 5800 @ 55mph, i stopped reading...
    #1 ... verify RPMS with a digital tacho
    if this is indeed correct,
    #2....i would check prop, but more importantly it sounds as if you are running motor about 3" too high on JP...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

4. Member
    I’ve had the issue as long as I have owned the boat about 2 1/2 years. I haven’t been able to find any cracks in the hull but I will look it over again. That rpm reading was on a digital smart craft gauge and mph was gps on my graph. I have had 3 different props on it the one on it now is brand new 25 tempest. When I bought the boat ended up motor was 1/2” below pad someone told me that’s why I couldn’t get any lift so I have been slowly lowering it and I think I’m at 4” now. Not completely positive on that ptp measurement though because of the hook not positive how to measure it I just ran a long straight edge past it and measured the difference. I appreciate y’all taking time to try to help me thanks

a Tempest does not have the lift that a 4 blade prop will have...HOWEVER...you should have ZERO trouble turning a 25 Tempest to 6000 on that boat which should be 72-76mph...
    one thing i have witnessed on a buddies 99 209, was it came with a POS jack plate...not a bobs hydraulic...and after close look was taken, the angle of the plate was WAY to negative...allowed for a blistering hole shot, but NEVER would get enough trim to get the boat out of the water...we ended up replacing jack plate with a used Bobs Hydraulic and problem solved as well as convenience of having hydraulic...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

6. Member
    You don't say how much jack plate you have , can you try trim extenders to test with more positive trim to see if the hull reacts. Heavy Ultrex motors are worth 5 mph.

7. Member
    It is a 10” manual jack plate not really sure what a heavy ultrex motor is but it has a 250xs racing motor 2003.

8. Member
    Have you ever ran a different prop ?

9. Member
    I have had three different props on it. It came with a 31p prop I went to a prop shop and ran some different props on it just for a pass or two the 25 tempest seemed to preform the best of them so I bought it after a while I tried a 23p prop my buddy had. None of them I have ever got over 60mph. If anyone thinks they can figure it out I would sell it to you my wife is getting tired of the boating. Otherwise any help you can give to help me try to figure it out I appreciate.

10. Member
    A 26p Trophy or a 26p Fury 4 blade. If you can find a 27p Trophy that, most likely, will be your fastest prop for that hull/engine combo. My '95 209 runs best with the p-2-p set ~2" below. With the 27p Trophy I ran it 1.75" below. If you have a Gen 1 TM lower plug the top 4 holes on each side. That will let you run the engine higher than you are now. 3" below is too low and 4" below is waaaayyyy too low. I run a 26p Fury 4 and have found it to be the best all round fishing prop. It lifts the stern well with the large hub and has the ability to lift the bow when run at elevated p-2-p settings. It's not as fast as the 27p Trophy but can hold the bow up at low speeds in rough water. My recommendation would be the 26p 4 blade fury set at 2" below the pad.

Added:

Yes, your hull has a hook in it - by design. That hook is what gets the ass-end up and the nose down on the hole shot. If you can not get that portion of the hull out of the water @ WOT that accounts for the issues you have. That you have "issues" with either prop, engine or both is a given. What you don't have problems with is the hull. Don't let anyone tell you other wise. You need to be running on the last ~18" of the pad @ WOT if you're going to go fast!

I run a 12" manual Slidemaster JP. I had a new '96 back in the day. Sent it back to have some work done on it and Bob put a 12" manual on it and woke that hull up as well.

Bob Ackerbloom advise from the mid-90's: "Don't let anyone but another Gambler owner tell you how to set-up a Gambler!
    Last edited by yupitsme; 05-16-2022 at 09:55 AM.

11. Member
    Throttle stop?

12. Member
    On youtube is great video on kensmith fishing where he talks with a mercury rep. He goes into depth about props and speed. Basically our boats need a 4 blade bc these boats are designed to run with the motor high and a 4blade is designed to run high. I have a 2100dc with and ultrex on the front. I have a 250efi with a 27 trophy plus, and a bobs jackplate. I ran 70 this weekend with 1/2 tank of gas 1 livewell full and 2 people with all our gear at 70 cruising. Jackplate at 3, trim some left and 5400rpm.

Of course the higher you go on jackplate the longer it takes to plane, even with trim tabs, but ride and top end gets better.
    04 2100 DC 250 merc efi

13. Member
    250 racing?
    What lower does it have

14. Member
    My 25 tempest likes to run deep. My guess is you're running the motor too high and over trimmed. You should be all over the limiter with the 25 on a 250; I am on the limiter with a 225 and a 25 tempest. I would start at around 3" below pad and go from there. As someone else mentioned.... what lower unit is on it?

15. Member
    The lower unit says it is the 1.75 it is the silver one does that tell you what lower unit it has. Had it out this weekend tried to do a little measuring so the best I can tell by what I think I’m supposed to do the motor right now is 3 1/2 inches ptp. I guess I need to try to find a 4 blade prop to try and see what happens. My motors top rpm’s on the 2003 is 5850 and I can get there by myself without any problems it is the speed that is the problem no matter what I seem to do the mph is less than the rpm’s which is a lot of prop slip which I think is because I can’t get the bow out of the water. I am in missouri has anyone ever heard of anyone that sets these boats up that I could just say here it is make it right I’m having a hard time wanting to spend more money but I need it right

16. Member
    Probably the easiest way to measure p-2-p on Gambler is to level the hull. Get the anti-cavitation plate level. Then measure the distance from the pad to the ground and the distance from the prop shaft center line to the ground. Then subtract the ground to prop shaft center line distance from the pad to ground distance and that will +/- equal your P-2-P setting.

Silver paint and 1.75 indicates it's most likely a Gen 1 Torque Master. Best lower for the Gambler in almost all situations.

Your stated speed/rpm is horrible - period. As someone else stated the Tempest is a decent prop for the Gambler. Not the best but certainly better than what you're seeing. Running the 55 mph / 5800 rpm through the prop calculator reveals a prop slip factor of 30%. If I add an inch to the prop diameter to account for cupping the slip factor goes up to 33%. Don't know that I've seen worse numbers. Those high slip numbers are an indication of a couple of probable causes. 1 - The prop is garbage. Little to no cupping and/or damaged leading edges. 2 - Too much hull in the water. Not enough trim is usually the leading cause - if the prop is in good shape. 3 - P-2-P is not even close for the chosen prop.

What mounting hole is the engine mounting bracket using?

Have you ever driven a 209 in excess of 65 mph? Full trim, with a few bumps down after the bow lifts and you're running ~65+mph - on a lightly loaded hull. On a heavily loaded hull down bumps just slow you down.

17. Member
    You need to get a hold of a performance prop shop. Most likely need a 27 trophy plus. Im running that prop and i know of another gambler 2100dc running a 225 also has that prop.

Also is your prop that you have now have any plugs in the exhaust hole? That can make a difference also. If you don't you could have too much cavitation
    04 2100 DC 250 merc efi

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkfast_3 View Post
    You need to get a hold of a performance prop shop. Most likely need a 27 trophy plus. Im running that prop and i know of another gambler 2100dc running a 225 also has that prop.

Also is your prop that you have now have any plugs in the exhaust hole? That can make a difference also. If you don't you could have too much cavitation
    The 27p Trophy was the fastest prop I ever had on my 209 w/225 ProXS. 81.3 mph GPS was fastest it ever ran and that only a couple of times. Otherwise 80 +a tic or two first thing in the morning. A worked 26p Trophy came in a close second. It both cases it was imperative to run the anti-cavitation ring on the hub. Ring was 12 bucks from your local Merc. dealer.

19. Member
    So to measure my p2p I ran a straight edge about 4 or 5 feet up against the pad up under the boat and leveled it then leveled the plate on the motor then measured from the top of my straight edge to the center of the cone on back of lower unit which should be same as center of prop. I am not someone that needs to go 80 I bought the boat for fishing but I want it to be right it seems to me that it can’t be that good on motor over working it with the prop slip. On my smartcraft gauge at wot it says I’m burning 25gph so I’m thinking probably might hurt my efficiency also. So I’m thinking since I don’t need wild speed just more bow lift after hearing from all you good people I’m thinking I need to try to find a 26 fury4 or 26 trophy plus 4 so if I go with one of these what should I start with on p2p and would it be the same with both props? I looked on here on the prop4sale and didn’t see anything does anyone know a good trusting place to by good used props?

20. Member
    reynolds racing and marine in tenn. has props. new and used. They deal with allison and bullet boats but i bet they could answer questions. Also, there has to be someone around LOTO or springfield that could help. Another one to try might be OPC. in Imperial mo. thats where I went to get plugs for my prop and they at least knew what was happening to mine and agreed that the plugs should help and it did.

I very rarely go for wot in mine but i can cruise at 50 mph and not be turning over 4100 rpms. I know of another boat that put a 26 4blade on his and wasnt thrilled and went back to the 27 trophy

As far as jackplate IDK. I have a bobs hydro. Higher a I go the faster it will go. Just going fishing and depending on wave conditions Ill run mine between 2-3.5
    Last edited by thinkfast_3; 06-03-2022 at 05:02 PM.
    04 2100 DC 250 merc efi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast