2nd day on the water for the ZX225...

Put in some more time, got about 5 more hours of break-in done...

Worked on Active Target too - at first I could not see anything, but I started to get it after a bit. Still need lots of practice/screen time :).

I will say, if I keep this AT, two things will need to happen - I'll have to upgrade from the 9", and I'll have to change the mount. Even at full brightness, I could not see much at all unless the sun was behind the clouds. Once it came out from the clouds, it's like the screen just went super dark. So I'll change the mount from a flush mount to some sort of mount where I have some adjustability in the angle, as well as raise it up a bit too. So thinking a dual stack adding a 12" and keep the 9" there also for mapping/waypoints and stuff.

Powerpole, man that suckers sinks deep in soft florida muck... not as useful as I had expected unless you are really shallow. Now trying to decide if adding the 2nd one (or upgrading with a new pair) is really worth it. It was useful when I beached to go get the truck to load, but not $2000/$4000 useful, if you know what I mean...

Let's see, didn't loose anything today Spent a lot of time running creeks (Dunn, Murphy, Trout for the locals) which I think is really the best way to learn how a boat drives, how it pushes, slides, etc. Definitely getting a better feel for the boat, what it likes for trim, etc. I don't like the stock trim gauge, it's range is not correct - ie at full tuck it shows 1/4 left down to go, and on the upper end it just stops even though there is some trim left in it. Not sure if an adjustment of some sort is needed, or a replacement part, or other? Also not sure about gas tank gauge, it showed just under 1/2 tank at the end of the day, but I put 33 gallons in it at the pump on the way home . I though the zx225 had a 44 gal tank, I will double check.

Still getting used to blinker trim. Reaching for throttle trim more often than not, especially turning/trimming down. Need more seat time for the blinker to become more natural.

Skeeter rod buckle clamps... not sure I like them. Twice it grabbed the line of a rod on the deck... almost lost one, caught it just in time. Or need to be more conscious about how I use them maybe...

Need more weight to port I loaded up the port rear with heavy stuff like anchor, tools, extra water, etc but still have a slight lean to port due to driver weight. Haven't filled up the rod locker though, only had 2 rods today, maybe when I fil'er up with 12-15 rods it will help a bit. No tackle in center box yet either. But, this upcoming weekend I have a T so it will be tourney loaded so will see how it goes.

Last edited by 78Staff; 05-09-2022 at 01:59 PM.

2. Member
    I think your port/starboard is backwards... driver sits on starboard side. When solo on plane, does it still lean towards driver?

Mine does the opposite - when on plane, solo, it'll roll towards port (opposite of driver's weight).

Shallow water anchors... I love mine (fishing south-east Texas mostly, so soft bottoms). Had a single on my previous boat and upgraded to twins. New Skeeter has two from the start. When I can't use spotlock with shallowness or too much plant growth, the poles very handy to me.

3. Member
    There is an adjuster for the trim gauge reading back by the motor, loosen one bolt and rotate until gauge reads correct. Do a quick Google search to see what it looks like but normally it is on the starboard side of motor.

Quote Originally Posted by boarder1995 View Post
    I think your port/starboard is backwards... driver sits on starboard side. When solo on plane, does it still lean towards driver?

Mine does the opposite - when on plane, solo, it'll roll towards port (opposite of driver's weight).

Shallow water anchors... I love mine (fishing south-east Texas mostly, so soft bottoms). Had a single on my previous boat and upgraded to twins. New Skeeter has two from the start. When I can't use spotlock with shallowness or too much plant growth, the poles very handy to me.

Doh sorry long day lol... My old Master Chief would string me up for that haha!

Mine leans to starboard, drivers side, but again boat is pretty much empty. I'll see how it does when I have rods and tackle in it.

Quote Originally Posted by mknj671 View Post
    There is an adjuster for the trim gauge reading back by the motor, loosen one bolt and rotate until gauge reads correct. Do a quick Google search to see what it looks like but normally it is on the starboard side of motor.
    Thanks will check it out.

EDIT - found this, seems simple enough... my gauge is different but should still apply I would think.

I've never had a boat with only one anchor, always two. But I've heard that only one is pretty much a tease. I fish a lot of waters similar to Florida here on the tidal rivers and they are extremely critical for me, wouldn't have a boat without them. You do need to be somewhat careful in the mucky soft bottoms because they can get stuck.

I'm also not a huge fan of the rod straps either for the same reason you mentioned.

I had my Lowrance Active Target on a 9" carbon and then upgraded to a 12" and I think it made a big difference.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Yeah, I will probably get the 2nd one, just annoyed at how far they sank down in most spots. :(.

Quote Originally Posted by mknj671 View Post
    All done, thanks! Much better when the gauge is accurate :).