Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrading trolling motor from 54 to 70 worth it?

I have a small Z6 and pretty sure the trolling motor is still the original Motorguide 54 thrust. It kinda struggles in windy days i have to run on high speeds a lot so i thought about buying a cheap used 70 minnkota.
    You guys think it will even be worth the extra 16 lbs of thrust? I will have to get an extra battery too because the 70's are all 24v it seems.

2. Member
    Would be to me, 24 volt set ups run much better and longer on a charge

3. Member
    Absolutely worth it for the reason Cjoe stated. Plus a newer troller will be more efficient and you will notice the thrust difference. If I were you I would also get spot lock, buy once cry once.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

4. Member
    I went from a 55 lb 12 volt to an 80 lb 24 volt on my old Ranger R73 and wish I would have done it sooner. I already had 2 batteries wired in parallel so going to 24 volts was no.problem.. The 24 volt system is much more efficient..

My advice if you can afford is to get an anchor/spot lock trolling motor. Real game changers. If not, a used one should be plentiful as people are upgrading to newer technology
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

6. Member
    I went from a 56lb 12/24 MG on my Ranger R71 to an 80lb fortrex last year.. worth every penny and then some! I wouldn’t use spot lock that often fishing the river systems I fish so I didn’t go with the ultrex, but if you use it much you won’t regret it.

There is always a good deal on used 24volt Fortrex’s due to everyone upgrading to the ultrex.

7. #FRB
    YES the upgrade is worth it. Your trolling motor should never tap out before you do. If you fish offshore a lot like I do an Ultrex would be worth it but if you just beat the bank mostly it's not as big of a deal.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

8. Member
    Yes it is very worth it. I would go with a 24 volt Ultrex 80. I have never heard anyone say they wish they had less power.

9. Member
    Alright guys thanks on all the responses guess ill upgrade!

I switched from a 55# to an 80# on my 17 Ranger 170VS. The addition of another trolling motor battery hurt the hole shot. I recently switched to lithium batteries and solved that problem.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

11. Member
    I'll recommend saving up for a spot locking motor as well... shallow or deep it's fantastic
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro Xp
    2022 Mercury 225 ProXs 3B171157

12. Member
    Absolutely worth it! The best thing would be to get one with spotlock. I’ve talked to people at the ramp that said the Ultrex cost more than their boat was worth and they also agreed it was the best money they’ve spent.

13. Member
    56 MG 12v to 80# 24v Maxxum Pro to 24/80 Ultrex.....i honesty can't tell you what was the most enjoyable/rewarding.....I can't imagine how I ever fished without an Ultrex....so that'll give you some idea how big the difference was from 12/56 to 24/80.....felt like a total game changer at the time as did the change to an Ultrex.

14. Banned
    I have a 16' 8" foot Stratos and went with a 55lb Ipilot Powerdrive from a 70 Maxxum and am really happy. I wanted the spotlock/route features but did not want to spend basically 2k for a Terrova (or more for Ultrex/Ghost/Force). It pulls my boat 2.0 mph per the GPS on the console where the Maxxum did 2.3 mph so I lost .3 mph which was very livable with gaining spotlock and routes. I almost never ran the Maxxum WOT anyway.

The Ipilot PowerDrive has no foot pedal and is not compatible with one (just remote) and I like that because it makes the limited deck space so much more usable without a pedal sitting in the middle of it. It took a little time to get used to but I would not have it any other way. If you are paralleling a bank you can set the course and as the bank contour changes you can just bump the direction button and it then will hold that new course with the adjustment. It has the course in degrees on the remote and you can use that also as a ref for small course adjustments. The remote hangs around my neck and I don't even have to look at the buttons anymore

I was carrying (2) 29 series (Walmart everstart deep cycle) in case I ran a battery down but I have since taken it out. I have yet to use 1/2 the charge.

And as someone with a small boat that fishes solo a lot. It is nice to be back in a little cove and when you come out just set a course on the tmotor then you can mess with rigging or eat something without being up front.
    Last edited by old4runner; 05-10-2022 at 07:17 AM.

15. Member
    Absolutely. The biggest and best upgrade I ever made on a boat was on my old tracker 195. Went from a 55 LB, to a 24V 80 pound ultrex. Night and day difference.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

It would most definitely be worth it! Then you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

17. Member
    I had a 95 champ 181 that came with a MG Brute 12/24v 55lb thrust TM. It was great but took a dump on me in 2013. I put a fortrex 80lb on it and the difference was night and day.

18. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    You should be able to find a good deal on a Fortrex or something with everyone going to Ultrex or something with spotlock unless you need spotlock but that is your choice ...
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

I have a nitro 482 that is the same size as your z6.
    I had a 70 pound thrust motorguide on it and didn't have any issues. It had plenty of power.
    But..... I have a 80 pound xi5 now and it is more than worth the upgrade just for the spot lock.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Commanchejoe View Post
    Would be to me, 24 volt set ups run much better and longer on a charge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast