Question Brakes are not releasing in reverse on a new Phoenix trailer

I have a 2021 Gm pick m up truck and cannot back up unless I put a actuator side lockout bracket in place. I have carried one of these lockouts for years. Might there be a fuse blown in my truck???

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Legend View Post
    I have a 2021 Gm pick m up truck and cannot back up unless I put a actuator side lockout bracket in place. I have carried one of these lockouts for years. Might there be a fuse blown in my truck???
    Yes you probably have a blown fuse. Get out your manual and find the section where all the fuses are labeled.

3. Member
    Look for reverse trailer lights, also make sure reverse solenoid is wired on trailer. Is your connector a 5 way or the round 7 way?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Check your ground wire to the trailer.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    You must have 12 volts on the blue or violet wire on the trailer with the truck ignition ON and the truck in reverse with the trailer hooked up.

6. Member
    Trailer wiring most of the time or trailer hitch lock pin not inserted.

7. Member
    My son has a flat bed trailer used for hauling junk. Pilled it with my truck a couple times. Each time trailer lights didn’t work. After each use, I would find two blown fuses in the truck fuse box. They are labeled ‘trailer left turn’ and ‘trailer right turn’. My point is, I agree with the earlier suggestion to remember to check the truck fuses as part of your checklist.

Thanks everybody for your imput !!!!! It was a blown fuse.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Legend View Post
    Thanks everybody for your imput !!!!! It was a blown fuse.
    Most of the time fuses blow for a reason. Occasionally they’re just bad, though. I would be prepared for it to blow again and then you’ll have to track down the cause of it. A likely cause is a bare wire inside the trailer and touching metal.

I chased the problem down already. I had 2 wires that had bare spots on them.

I have similar issue with my Skeeter Trailer, with UFP-84, had the trailer shop test with their tester box thing and the truck wiring checked out. They said it's likely something going on with the actual trailer wiring, but I would have to leave it for them to sort it out. Had a tournament upcoming so have just dealt with it for past to weeks (using the lockout key) but am planning on dropping trailer off Monday and let them have at it. The emergency actuator cable is cut off, and my drivers side Skeeter light doesn't light up, and the 5/7 pin is a electric-tape-job special, so I am going to have them just go through all the wiring and correct any issues as well as do a general check/pm of trailer/axles/brakes/etc...
    Last edited by 78Staff; 06-19-2022 at 12:56 PM.

12. Member
    Just got my 2019 High Country Silverado out of the shop and $740.00 later they replaced the Trailer Control Module, checked all connections, fuses etc. It's working again after all that but I was told all it takes is one short of any kind will fry the TCM. My trailer is only 1 year old and all lights work as it should but I was told the computer diagnostics say it was a short. They told me at the dealership it could be as simple as hooking up the 7 pin plug with the truck running and lights on which I have done before. According to Chevrolet the truck should be off and all lights from the delay that keeps the lights on for 30 seconds should have gone off before attempting to attach the plug. Periodically need to make sure the center part of the 7 pin receiver (ground) has not been sprung and needs adjusting for tension to make good connection. I have learned after $740.00 the nice creature comforts on the newer trucks only lead to more expensive repairs down the road, but they sure are nice though. If you are going to play you're going to pay.