Thread: 50hp tlrv

50hp tlrv

I need a little help from the experts. Been chasing a problem with my motor for a while. The symptom is when accelerating it stops at 4200rpms and then all of sudden without touching the throttle it will wake up and jump to 5000. Almost like it is dropping a cylander. It also is down on power, used to run 6k at around 34 now it’s maxing out at 5k in the upper 20s for speed.
    I have checked compression, been through the fuel system, and checked all my ignition coils. I know that none of the cylinders are losing spark at any point. What I need help on here is timing.
    so on the side of my cdi there is two little lines that the arrow is supposed to point to at idle. This should run 7 degrees ATDC. Then there is a single line it should point to at WOT which should run at 25 degrees BTDC..
    when I line everything up the way my manual calls for it won’t idle and has a bad misfire. I checked timing and it is sparking more than 10 degrees ATDC In order to get it to idle and run 7 degrees ATDC I have to advance it where my arrow is well past the two lines.
    However here it’s at 30 degrees BTDC wot.
    does this sound like I could have a bad cdi? Any help is greatly appreciated

2. Member
    I've had to replace several of those style CDI boxes on the smaller Yamaha engines for basically the same problem.