Tracker 195 Cracked Transom

Hello Everyone, I know this topic was discussed several years ago but wanted to ask what the outcome was for a lot of you that kept your boats. Just picked up a 2016 Tracker 195 with the 150HP motor and when we got it home we went through it and found this crack in the transom. Was the fix just to take it to a welder? My father in law welds for a living, so if that's all Tracker was doing to fix this then thought it would be easy for him. The older forum that goes over this is so old the pics are no longer in the posts, so I was wondering what the fixes ended up being if anyone could share please.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I can't answer your question but wanted to say that is a very nice looking boat you just got. Sorry about the cracks you found. That can be fixed better than new and you will enjoy your rig!

That 150 HP engine is heavy by itself and the extra 50+ lbs of those talons is putting you over the weight limititations that .100" thick transom can handle.

As all that weight bounces at higher speeds back there, it is just too much for the transom to bear.

I know this is going to suck, but those talons have to come off, and then the sections have to be rewelded. If the issue happens again, you may need to reinforce the transom further than it already is reinforced. As of current, however, you aren't doing yourself any favors by having those on there.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

Now you know why the guy sold it. I would be asking for my money back but that's me. You were sold a defective boat.

5. Member
    I would imagine the guy voided the warranty with those poles, but I agree with Grizzly - get your money back. A cracked transom is a serious issue. I would NEVER buy a .100 tin boat with a 150 on the back.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

6. Member
    I do not think those are the factory welds either. I would wager that the owner had the boat repaired himself as the warranty may have been voided and the repair was not strong enough to deal with all the weight on the transom with the poles on there.

Mine has never shown any problems and I think most did not but there were quite a few in a short period of time that had the problem. I think the factory repair took care of the problem for most folks but I remember at least one person had the issue again even after the factory repaired it.

7. Member
    Any good welding shop can weld that back better than new, you don't have to take the talons off they will be fine. The talons aren't what made it crack, it was just a poor weld from the factory, just about all brands of aluminum boats have this issue on some of their boats even the smaller ones with 75 hp motors on them.

8. Member
    I feel your pain and hope this works out in your favor.

No manufacturer can "void" a warranty that is against federal law. They can deny a warranty claim making the case that some action taken by the owner caused the condition the owner is asking for a warranty repair on. But the warranty stays in place during and after any claims are made by the owner. The warranty covers many facets of the boat not just the items associated with a single warranty claim.

In this case, White River Marine could deny a claim to repair the boat at their expense. The owner could sue them to get them to pay. In court, WRMG would have to prove that the owner did something to the boat that was not stock or was against their recommendations that caused the transom to crack.

Of course no one wants to go there. Too much hassle. I assume a local repair weld would not be crazy expensive and would likely fix the problem.

One area to look at is how you tow and support the engine, protect the transom. Another area to consider is how the poles are attached... I cannot tell from the photos.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

9. Member
    Not trying to be a smart azz, but that is the very reason when you buy a used boat you MUST go over it with a fine tooth comb before you pay.

If it was a Dealer you might be able to get them to help fix it. If was a Private Owner, well best of luck but your probably on your own.