No spark to cylinders

Ok guys I have a 1996 225 Johnson venom that doesn’t have fire to any cylinders. Back story is this motor was running but has sat for ten years. Motor turns over fine. Tank has been drained and all fuel lines have been replaced but I’m not getting spark from any of the coils. It’s a freshwater motor with less than 100 hrs. Where to start? I’ll get a service manual hopefully tomorrow

A quick check to rule out a bad boat and key switch is to disconnect the wiring plugs from the boat to motor and try cranking over using a jumper wire at the solenoid. If no spark, continue below.

At the powerpack, disconnect the 2 black with yellow stripe wires that go directly to the pack. Do not try to start the motor, this is only for testing spark at cranking over the motor.

If you now have spark, then there is either some resistance to ground or a direct short to ground on the black/yellow wiring circuit.

If still no spark, then be sure the motor is cranking over fast enough and if so, start troubleshooting the ignition parts
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

3. Member
    So disconnected switch and spun engine from solo if to starter. Also disconnected black/yellow and black/orange going directly to power pack no spark

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The black/yellow and black/orange are from the stator you won't get any spark if they are disconnected. The black/yellow wires that Seahorse are describing a the kill switch wires. Don't get a Seloc or Clymers manual only OEM. Motor needs to spin at least 250 RPM to generate spark.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    This should help you out until you get your manual.
    Motor wiring_20190701_0001.jpg

6. Member
    Ok wouldn’t unplugging switch and jumping it over do the same thing with regard to the black/yellow? Even by the diagram I don’t see 2 black/yellow going directly to powerpack. Maybe manual will shed some light can be that many things that would prevent spark from all coils at the same time I would hope

My mistake, they vary with the years and models. Your "kill wires" are black/ yellow stripe and black/orange stripe - disconnect at pack

kill wires to V6 looper power pack.JPG
    -----

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you have the lanyard over switch, check the back side of the ignition switch for wires that have fallen off the switch. Most likely black/yellow.
    The second wire harness down is your ignition harness from the switch to the motor.
    mws (2).jpg

9. Member
    Best place to download service manual online? I have been through the testing and still no fire. I would guess work from the stator back to the coils now troubleshooting?

10. Member
    Did you try the service manual sticky at the top of this site?

11. Member
    Ok more confused now than before. I disconnected kill switch and shift interrupt switch and got fire on cylinder #2. I checked both switches and they seem to be working as they should but when I plug them back spark goes away in cylinder #2. Other 5 cylinders have very week spark when motor starts to turn then goes away completely. Ideas?

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Verify TDC on #1

13. Member
    I will add when i plug shift switch back I still have fire only on Cylinder #2 but when I plug the kill switch back going to powerpack Black/orange and Black/white I lose spark again completely. I tested kill switch using a multimeter to the switch and it seems to be operating correctly. The boat has a new switch. I will verify TDC this afternoon

14. Member
    Verified TDC it’s right on the mark. Also spark is gone again completely. Frustrating

15. Member
    At this stage sounds more like either power-pack or 'timer base and sensor'. Possibly both.
    Last edited by Nordmann; 05-11-2022 at 04:57 AM.

Have you looked up underneath the flywheel for any melted plastic insulation from the stator dripping or any magnets that appear broken or out of place?
    -----

17. Member
    I have look under the flywheel and everything looks clean nothing obvious. Like mentioned before the motor was running but has been sitting for years. I did however remember I believe the last time that I ran the motor I had an issue getting it to shut down. If I remember correctly it didn't shut off with the key switch. Switch has been replaced but I will go through the trouble shooting steps for the stator, trigger, powerpack, and timing base. I am starting to think my powerpack may be bad.

18. Member
    What’d it end up being?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot Marine View Post
    What’d it end up being?
    2 yr old thread but hopefully someone will return and see it
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot Marine View Post
    What’d it end up being?
    Looking at his posts he's gone to Mercury