Minn Kota Ultrex Issue

I have a 112 Ultrex that is roughly 4 years old. Recently I've had an issue I can't seem to figure out and I'm needing some advice

When you step on the momentary switch the unit turns on like normally. Last couple times out I've had an issue when pushing on the switch the unit doesn't work. Of course I press it down harder, adjust the speed control and even turn on spot lock hoping it will do something. Usually after doing all that the unit will act correctly until the next time the same issue happens again.

I can tell the unit is trying to work cause I'm running mega 360 and interference blanks out the screen on my graph when the issue is happening. And yes the trolling motor is on separate batteries than the 360

I've called my local Minn Kota Service location and they are 3-4 weeks out before they can look at the unit

Any suggestions or advise would be helpful

Thank you all

Operate the Ultrex using the constant on feature, any issues? If it runs good I'd suspect the reed switch may require adjustment. The second suspect may be water intrusion.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

3. Member
    Does it run using the remote? If it runs using the remote it is either the reed switch. Make an adjustment or change. If it does not run then it is either water intrusion or the board.

4. Member
    When the issue is happening constant on feature won't work at all. If the unit isn't having the issue at the moment everything functions as normal.

I did adjust the reed switching hoping that would solve it but it's not changed the issue

What do you mean by water intrusion? What would that affect?

Quote Originally Posted by rodney_h View Post
    Operate the Ultrex using the constant on feature, any issues? If it runs good I'd suspect the reed switch may require adjustment. The second suspect may be water intrusion.

5. Member
    I've honestly not tried the remote but I will try next time it happens.

My fear is the board because its intermittent. What would water intrusion cause it to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Does it run using the remote? If it runs using the remote it is either the reed switch. Make an adjustment or change. If it does not run then it is either water intrusion or the board.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur311 View Post
    I've honestly not tried the remote but I will try next time it happens.

My fear is the board because its intermittent. What would water intrusion cause it to do?
    Water intrusion is water in the motor assembly.
    It will cause the motor to run intermittingly and eventually quit all together.

If it does not operate in constant on then it is a red switch, board or water in the motor.
    You can check for water by removing the prop and loosing one of the thru bolt that holds the motor together. then tilt the motor prop down and see if water comes out. Try not to remove the bolt completely.

If that is good then it probably a board.

7. Member
    wilbur311 I am having the same issue, Minn Kota seems to think its the board also. I have to drop it off at the local service center tomorrow and there it will set for weeks also... This is BS, I have only used mine about 5 or 6 times and its bad already !!!!
    2003 Lowe Stinger 170W - 2002 Mercury 75 HP ELPTO - Garmin Echomap 73sv - Lowrance Hook 2 - Minn kota Ultrex 80lb

8. Member
    I am wondering what are you guys doing with the trolling power when charging your batteries?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    I am wondering what are you guys doing with the trolling power when charging your batteries?
    Disconnect TM either using plug or breaker switch.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post

11. Member
    I've never heard anyone talk about disconnecting the TM plug while charging. Is this a known issue? I"ve had this system for a couple years and never had an issue out of it until now

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post

12. Member
    Can't say on the Ultrex but on the Fortrex and other Minn kota if you don't.
    You will burn the circuit board in the foot paddle.

13. Member
    This is recommended by Minn Kota. Battery charger have known to create problems with troll motors of the modern era.

14. Member
    I just want to understand this, If you turn off the power switch, why would you have to disconnect the power to charge the batteries ?
    2003 Lowe Stinger 170W - 2002 Mercury 75 HP ELPTO - Garmin Echomap 73sv - Lowrance Hook 2 - Minn kota Ultrex 80lb

15. Member
    The power switch keeps it from working if it’s off but there is still power going to the circuit boards. You should always unplug the power or trip the supply breaker when charging the batteries.

Its a good idea to do this for power feeds to your other electronics too.

16. Member
    Mine has done this twice. Both times was a dead spot in the armature.

17. Member
    I just ordered this power switch, should do the trick right ? s-l1600.jpg

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoweStinger View Post
    I just ordered this power switch, should do the trick right ? s-l1600.jpg
    No, you want a switching breaker. What you have is just a switch and no protection.... You want something like in the links below

https://www.bluesea.com/products/708...anel_Mount_60A

https://www.bluesea.com/products/714...face_Mount_60A
    Fish have fins, they swim

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    No, you want a switching breaker. What you have is just a switch and no protection....
    I have a breaker at the batteries already, Install what I pictured before or after the breaker ?