2021 Vexus AVX1880 New Rig - Questions?

Finally brought home from 1800 mile round trip last week. My Hyundai Santa Fe with 4-cylinder Turbo towed very easily thru 75% of time hills and mountain passes with zero problems. Holding speeds was easy at all times, in fact unless on cruise control when little traffic my speeds were getting way too high, stayed on cruise when possible. Have not gone out yet as no CF ###, due in on Tuesday. In mean time have some questions - help?
    Re: Breakaway tongue to starboard side - can it be reversed to break tongue to the port side as currently hits the Trick Step not going back enough as bottom step 1/4" too low. Can't lower the trick step as the bar sticking out holding the safety cord tie to bow stops from dropping that 1/4".
    Re: Lowrance 9" Elite FS graph installed using the Lowrance bracket screwed to the console face plate. Same way the same unit is at the bow, no problem with that one. But, that install stops me from using my tilt wheel where I want it as no matter what position, other than facing straight up into sky, can tilt be moved upward. I need unit raised about 1 1/4" to get it done. Anyone know of a bracket that is adjustable enough? Do not want unit mounted to the side of console area - prefer directly in front. Believe they mounted there (room to move up 1" +) as going up the Lowrance bracket would cover the 3 screws holding the face plate.
    Re: Ultrex T/M no manual in boat except for remote but doesn't help learn how the Ultrex operates? Had been using Fortrex in last rig but this Ultrex got lots more going for it.
    Re: Sit down fishing seat - does post remove easily, does not seem to? Prefer towing to/from lakes without the seat on post (post in post hole) as weight will tend to make wobble as every boat I've had has done until I quit towing with sit down seat on. Also easier to see if going long distance on the water without the seat but very little room for seat with post attached to be put?
    Re: Locks for graphs? Anything other than eDuralocks that works - want 4 to lock to both sides of the 2 graph'?
    Re: Cleaning alum. boat after fishing as Delta tidal waters, some local lakes really scums up sides/bottom of boat - best type polish or cleaning chemical to use?
    Re: In packet that was in boat found 2 short lengths of clear tubing with 1 tube having black connectors at both ends. No idea what those are for as have never. seen them?
    That's all for now, likely more after I take out - maybe can get a few answers on these before I come up with more. Thanks!

2. Member
    The seat post does take some effort to get it out, but it does come out for the purposes you have noted above.

Here's the link to the Ultrex Owner's Manual: Ultrex Bow-Mount Trolling Motor Owner's Manual (widen.net)

I use Lucas Slick Mist when I pull the boat out of the water after each fishing trip: Amazon.com: Lucas Oil 10980 Slick Mist Marine Speed Wax, 24 Oz : Automotive

I wash both my bass boats every third Sunday afternoon using Meguiar's Boat Wash: Amazon.com: MEGUIAR'S M4364 Marine/RV Boat Wash, 64 Fluid Ounces, Purple, 3.2 x 10.2 x 5.4 inches : Sports & Outdoors

I use Meguiar's Marine Vinyl Cleaner for the boat seats: Amazon.com: Meguiar's M5716SP Marine/RV Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Protectant, 16 oz : Sports & Outdoors

Lastly, I use Meguiar's Flagship Premium Wax to help protect the boat's finish from harmful UV and other contaminants: Amazon.com: Meguiar's M6332 Flagship Premium Marine Wax, 32 Fluid Ounces : Automotive

Please stay safe out there on the water!

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

3. Member
    I believe the clear tubing with black connectors is for purging or changing hydraulic steering fluid. The Ultrex will not operate in stowed position, it must be in water and switched on.

The swing away can be mounted either way. I would flush mount your console graph. That will eliminate any interference issues. Front seat post comes out but can be a PITA. I prefer the screw in Type post.
    Ultrex set up is on YouTube. Pretty simple to do.
    I use vinegar and water to wipe down boat. Then any decent spray wax will get the job done.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

5. Member
    Lucas Slick mist after every outing with a damp micro fiber towel, along with Starbrite vinyl guard for the seats, cowling etc. The wipe downs really help keeping the boat looking nice.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsquatch View Post
    Finally brought home from 1800 mile round trip last week. My Hyundai Santa Fe with 4-cylinder Turbo towed very easily thru 75% of time hills and mountain passes with zero problems. Holding speeds was easy at all times, in fact unless on cruise control when little traffic my speeds were getting way too high, stayed on cruise when possible. Have not gone out yet as no CF ###, due in on Tuesday. In mean time have some questions - help?
    Re: Breakaway tongue to starboard side - can it be reversed to break tongue to the port side as currently hits the Trick Step not going back enough as bottom step 1/4" too low. Can't lower the trick step as the bar sticking out holding the safety cord tie to bow stops from dropping that 1/4".
    Re: Lowrance 9" Elite FS graph installed using the Lowrance bracket screwed to the console face plate. Same way the same unit is at the bow, no problem with that one. But, that install stops me from using my tilt wheel where I want it as no matter what position, other than facing straight up into sky, can tilt be moved upward. I need unit raised about 1 1/4" to get it done. Anyone know of a bracket that is adjustable enough? Do not want unit mounted to the side of console area - prefer directly in front. Believe they mounted there (room to move up 1" +) as going up the Lowrance bracket would cover the 3 screws holding the face plate.
    Re: Ultrex T/M no manual in boat except for remote but doesn't help learn how the Ultrex operates? Had been using Fortrex in last rig but this Ultrex got lots more going for it.
    Re: Sit down fishing seat - does post remove easily, does not seem to? Prefer towing to/from lakes without the seat on post (post in post hole) as weight will tend to make wobble as every boat I've had has done until I quit towing with sit down seat on. Also easier to see if going long distance on the water without the seat but very little room for seat with post attached to be put?
    Re: Locks for graphs? Anything other than eDuralocks that works - want 4 to lock to both sides of the 2 graph'?
    Re: Cleaning alum. boat after fishing as Delta tidal waters, some local lakes really scums up sides/bottom of boat - best type polish or cleaning chemical to use?
    Re: In packet that was in boat found 2 short lengths of clear tubing with 1 tube having black connectors at both ends. No idea what those are for as have never. seen them?
    That's all for now, likely more after I take out - maybe can get a few answers on these before I come up with more. Thanks!
    The swing-away tounge can be hinged on either side to swing which ever way you want. Just be careful not to pinch the wiring when you change it over.

The Lowrance graph can be mounted however you want. When I bought my AVX1980, I specifically told them I wanted the FS-9 mounted on a gimbal. I just dont like the smaller units flush mounted because the steering wheel can get in the way of the screen and I like have the smaller units mounted closer to the eye. Id like to see a picture of where yours is mounted because my FS-9 is gimbal mounted as well at the console and it does not impede the functionality of the tilt wheel steering at all. I can tilt the steering wheel to the max if I want.

You can download the manual for the ultrex trolling motor here: Ultrex Manuals | Minn Kota Motors

The seat is mounted to the pedestal/post with 4 lag screws. You would have to remove those lag screws to remove the seat pedestal. The pedestals do sit a bit snug in the hole at first and can take a little effort to get out, but they do loosen up over time. I wouldnt worry about towing with it. I tow with the stern folding seat installed all the time. The seat will spin a little bit but its not going anywhere.

All I have ever seen are the Dursafe e-locks. Personally I dont use them because a low life bent on steeling your stuff is going to steel it anyway. When you use those locks it just means they are going to tear up everything in their efforts to steel the graph. No thank you. I usually remove my graphs when my boat will be sitting outside out of sight for a while. Other than that I just say having good insurance to cover everything on your boat is the best option.

7. Member
    Thanks for all the info. guys. The 9" Elite FS is mounted against the face plate as high as it will go without covering the plate's mounting screws. The dealer had used the Lowrance bracket to gimbal mount and it push's the unit out some - not sure if other mounts arms might be shorter? Cannot move tilt wheel pass vertical - will hit screen, I prefer one more notch if I can get it? Will see if I can get pics to show. Also pictures of rig too but I'm not good on the computer so may take me some time to figure out how to post pic.'s? Boat is covered by $500,000 max. policy so well insured. I think Lowrance has some kind of locking tabs but have never seen them in use, no idea if any good. Thanks all also for info. on Ultrex manual. My concern with towing with sit down seat in place is my past boats all had lots of wobble in the seats after relatively short length of time when I used to leave in place when towing. Not sure how stable the post mounts are in deck? Thanks again..................BOB

8. Member
    Thanks for all the info. guys. The 9" Elite FS is mounted against the face plate as high as it will go without covering the plate's mounting screws. The dealer had used the Lowrance bracket to gimbal mount and it push's the unit out some - not sure if other mounts arms might be shorter? Cannot move tilt wheel pass vertical - will hit screen, I prefer one more notch if I can get it? Will see if I can get pics to show. Also pictures of rig too but I'm not good on the computer so may take me some time to figure out how to post pic.'s? Boat is covered by $500,000 max. policy so well insured. I think Lowrance has some kind of locking tabs but have never seen them in use, no idea if any good. Thanks all also for info. on Ultrex manual. My concern with towing with sit down seat in place is my past boats all had lots of wobble in the seats after relatively short length of time when I used to leave in place when towing. Not sure how stable the post mounts are in deck? Thanks again..................BOB
    Yeah the seats dont wobble at all in my 1980 and Im sure it would be the same in your 1880. So I wouldn't worry about going down road with them installed. They should be just fine. They will rotate a bit, but arent going anywhere. I do know BassBoatTechnologies makes their heavy duty gimbal mount in a low profiile for the FS, but they also say that its just for the bow. Why its just for the bow? I dont know, but maybe you can look into it.

Im understand that you want to tilt your steering wheel past a 90 degree vertical. Thats just not going to happen with that unit. Mine steering will tilts right up to a 90 degree vertical before it hits the graph, which gives me plenty of room to maneuver in and out of the seat.

9. Member
    Know I can get the tilt further up one notch if the unit was flush mounted, though I like it as is just wish more room. I'm 6' 2" and getting legs into/under the wheel is probably hardest of any boat I've ever had as cockpit room for this large of rig is not great IMO. Will say front deck size is great, rear deck probably bigger than any of my other rigs over many years. Took out Thurs. first time as had to wait for CF numbers to come in - got them on Wed. Caught 65 spotted bass on Melones 1st trip out (6 hrs.). Notice motor trim has to stay all the way down until past 30 mph or rig will porpoise instantly. As long as speed is going up the trim works but doesn't take much at all. Took it very easy all day, ran rpm's up past 4500 couple times but only for maybe 10 seconds staying at or below 4500 rest of time. 4000 rpm's right at 30mph. Speedometer on boat did not work at all at any time, graph GPS worked well though. Have pics but have to figure out how to post them yet? BTW reason I want seats out is simply boat stored under carport and need to keep cover on it or neighbor cats will live in it - in mobile home park with cats everywhere.

10. Member
    Know I can get the tilt further up one notch if the unit was flush mounted, though I like it as is just wish more room. I'm 6' 2" and getting legs into/under the wheel is probably hardest of any boat I've ever had as cockpit room for this large of rig is not great IMO. Will say front deck size is great, rear deck probably bigger than any of my other rigs over many years. Took out Thurs. first time as had to wait for CF numbers to come in - got them on Wed. Caught 65 spotted bass on Melones 1st trip out (6 hrs.). Notice motor trim has to stay all the way down until past 30 mph or rig will porpoise instantly. As long as speed is going up the trim works but doesn't take much at all. Took it very easy all day, ran rpm's up past 4500 couple times but only for maybe 10 seconds staying at or below 4500 rest of time. 4000 rpm's right at 30mph. Speedometer on boat did not work at all at any time, graph GPS worked well though. Have pics but have to figure out how to post them yet? BTW reason I want seats out is simply boat stored under carport and need to keep cover on it or neighbor cats will live in it - in mobile home park with cats everywhere.
    Nice! Ive hitting Comanche reservoir and Pardee until my motor was broken in and now that is Im going to be heading down that way. Fished New Melones quite a bit last year but haven't been to McClure or Don Pedro in years. Im going be hitting those soon now that shes all broken in. I was actually at Comanche today and ran aground. The water is so low it seems like I was scooting along at 30mph over about 45ft depth and all of a sudden I was in 8 feet of water. By the time I put the boat in neutral I was on the bottom. I was pissed. Pro got nicked up a bit and took a bit of a chunk out of the skeg but didnt affect performance at all. Boat still handled well and hit the usual 56-57 mph, so I finished my day fish and had an overall good day. I am going to be looking for somewhere to repair the skeg though. Wont stop me from getting back on the water in the mean time though.

Anyway you shouldn't start to porpoise with a little trim at 30mph. I start to trim my 1980 up a bit at about 25 mph and it doesnt porpoise. That proposing is the boat trying to play a balancing act and its caught between enough speed for lift and not enough. If you keep a lot of gear in the back of the boat, Id try moving some of that weight forward. The more balanced your boat is when running the less of this you will get. It will still happen if you are giving to much trim at to low a speed, but that is just something you will have to familiarize yourself with on your boat. Analog speedometers on boats rarely work properly, even new boats. My 1980 is brand new and the speedometer isnt accurate at all. I wouldn't worry about it. Just use the SOG on your graph or get yourself a Vesselview Mobile

Porposing could be helped with weight moved forward and the correct prop. Why these boats come with a speedometer is beyond me. I deleted mine when I ordered it. I mounted my phone in that spot and installed Vessel View.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Porposing could be helped with weight moved forward and the correct prop. Why these boats come with a speedometer is beyond me. I deleted mine when I ordered it. I mounted my phone in that spot and installed Vessel View.
    exactly. They just need to nix the speedometer on these boats, especially with modern electronics. The RPM and Speedometer are in such weird spots on the new Vexus that Im hard pressed to look at it anyway while I speeding across the water. I have the vesselview mobile and it works well. Gives you all the info the average boater would need on the water, I just dont like that you have to keep looking at your phone. So Im saving a little cash to get the vesselview link. Hoping I will like that better.