Skeeterzx190

Lithium batteries with 2 pro 250

2B362393 Mercury pro xs 2 stroke 250 2017

so I read in forum that Mercury does not recommend lithium batteries. Is this current? We can not use lithium at all?

2. Member
    Lithium will work fine on your TWO STROKE motor.

I have been running a Miller tech lithium cranking battery last fall and all this year. I can say my motor has never ever started as well. 13v to my graphs all day.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

4. Member
    Love my ionic 125ah. Spur of the moment trip and it’s only 60%? No problem, it’ll be 55% at the end of the 6 hr trip with 4 graphs, livewell pumps, and all running, 2007 pro xs comes to life when you breathe on the key. Wish I had made the switch sooner.

5. Member
    I’m definitely interested in going with lithium at some point as well, curious to see why merc is against using lithium.

6. Skeeterzx190
    Ya im not sure why merc is against it.,,.or they have recently maybe allowed it? Im far from a mechanic…I mean far lol…but if meets cca and mca then why does it matter? Curious feedback from any merc mechanics

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Lithium will work fine on your TWO STROKE motor.
    Lithium batteries aren't recommended by Mercury for 2 or 4 strokes.

8. Skeeterzx190
    Any idea why?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Per the most recent Service Bulletin, Mercury approves Lead-Acid or AGM Batteries for use with their engines.

Personally, I would recommend sticking with an AGM for the time being- see the FAQ section at the top of the Forum, which has a long list of batteries and ratings.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I didnt state that Mercury recommended Lithium batteries.............I stated that "Lithium will work fine on your TWO STROKE motor"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I didnt state that Mercury recommended Lithium batteries.............I stated that "Lithium will work fine on your TWO STROKE motor"

They will work just as good on a 2 stroke as a 4 stroke. However they aren't approved by Mercury for use on either one.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterzx19 View Post
    Any idea why?
    ignoring the variance in cell quality the biggest issue is the differences in BMS boards, the primary risk being during charging from the alternator the BMS may disconnect the battery completely. This can have a plethora of undesirable results ranging from blowing the alternator, to the safety implications akin to running down the lake at 70-80 mph and reaching up and turning the key off mid run. Some manufacturers have solved this issue and some haven’t. It’s on you to make that judgement call and assume any resulting liability for your life and property, not Mercury. I myself love my lithium battery but you need to be aware of the risk, research success and failure stories with each manufacturer, and make that call for you.