Thread: trailer tires

trailer tires

keep getting low tires but only on the front axle. never had a tandem trailer before either. is it possible that tight turns are causing this? new tires, cleaned up beads on rims and put bead sealer on them all but keep going down AFTER trips usually. fished last sat. and all were at 45 psi but when I got home one front was 16 and other was 34?? two on rear axle and spare doing fine??
    Last edited by mactlman; 05-07-2022 at 09:30 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

2. Member
    I don't know if you had the valve stems replaced, but it could be the cause.
    I had all 5 tires doing it. All from valve stems. Yes, even the spare.

Its worth checking.
    I have owned 3 tandem axle Bass cat trailers. Never had an issue with ONLY the front tires losing air.

Check the valve stems for leaks.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Check the valve stem is tight.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    If you think the tight turns are causing tires to lose air, swap the fronts to rear and see if tires still losing air. If not, you have a problem with the original fronts leaking. If the fronts still lose air the weight may not be balanced on the axles and putting too much weight on the front axle causing the fronts to lean too much and pull the tires away from the bead.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredmechanic View Post
    If you think the tight turns are causing tires to lose air, swap the fronts to rear and see if tires still losing air. If not, you have a problem with the original fronts leaking. If the fronts still lose air the weight may not be balanced on the axles and putting too much weight on the front axle causing the fronts to lean too much and pull the tires away from the bead.
    Great idea. See if the issue follows the tires or the trailer.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredmechanic View Post

same as I planned on doing BUT took tires to a 3rd place with a dip tank and the valve stems are leaking if moved by hand so likely just flapping going down the road is causing it. put in a different model stem seemed to help both tires
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    I don't know if you had the valve stems replaced, but it could be the cause.
    I had all 5 tires doing it. All from valve stems. Yes, even the spare.

Its worth checking.
    I have owned 3 tandem axle Bass cat trailers. Never had an issue with ONLY the front tires losing air.

Check the valve stems for leaks.

Don
    all new tires and all new stems on rims which have been cleaned and bead sealed before this started also
    MAGA