Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario

RT188 gas tank removal

Has anyone ever removed the gas tank from an early RT188 (pre-Johnny)? I think I have a livewell plumbing leak and I don't see any possible access without removing the gas tank (unless the carpeted vertical deck behind the seats can be removed?).
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Wow... I feel bad for you. That would be tough

I would double, triple, quadruple check to make sure that is where the water is coming from..then I would try to figure a fix some other way. If you plug up the tube holes, does it still take on water?

I know you have been around enough and experienced enough to be sure..... but I would try a lot of things before thinking about pulling that tank. Also, I think the deck is spot welded in.

Fill the tube with water with a dye and see if that is it for sure.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    Wow... I feel bad for you. That would be tough

I would double, triple, quadruple check to make sure that is where the water is coming from..then I would try to figure a fix some other way. If you plug up the tube holes, does it still take on water?

I know you have been around enough and experienced enough to be sure..... but I would try a lot of things before thinking about pulling that tank. Also, I think the deck is spot welded in.

Fill the tube with water with a dye and see if that is it for sure.
    You make some good suggestions. I’ve stuck a hose into the bilge and added a LOT of water and not a trace of a leak.��*♂️

Why do you think the leak is from the livewell?
    My 2014 hull developed a hull crack up near the front close to the center keel. It would not take on water unless I was driving down the lake.
    Took me weeks to find because all the traditional checking methods focus on the transom area and when checking with a water hose I always raised the bow so never found the leak.
    I mention it because I know of 3 other hulls with cracks in the same location and they were all 2013 or 2014.
    Panama - Do you think Joey is still at the Ranger repair shop? He could tell him how to remove the gas tank.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    My dealer had to remove my tank on my 2019 RT188. Livewell plumbing leak. They said it was a nightmare but it can be done. 1 clamp was loose from the factory. They did not have to remove any decking…it came out the back hatch. The mechanic saw the leak by putting his cell camera in movie mode under tank while boat was in water.
    Last edited by Rangerjeff; 05-06-2022 at 08:34 PM.
    2019 Ranger rt188
    Merc 115 Pro xs ct
    Minn Kota Edge 70
    Tempest 21p

My boat has leaked since the day I picked it up and yes, it is my fault for not having it dealt with from day 1 but that is a long story. My boat does not leak unless it is sitting still in the water. I might start by installing a new drain plug.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

7. Member
    My RT188 never has one single drip when I pull the plug. Ever. For starters, how much water are we talking about? I used to get a cup or two but I started using plumbers grease on the o-ring on the screw-in plug. Now nothing. Replacing the plug is a good idea. Do you take on water when you shut off the livewell? Next thing I would do is block off the livewell tube at the hull. Try that before trying to take that tank out.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAngus View Post
    My RT188 never has one single drip when I pull the plug. Ever. For starters, how much water are we talking about? I used to get a cup or two but I started using plumbers grease on the o-ring on the screw-in plug. Now nothing. Replacing the plug is a good idea. Do you take on water when you shut off the livewell? Next thing I would do is block off the livewell tube at the hull. Try that before trying to take that tank out.
    My bilge probably pumps a half gallon of water after the boat has been in the water for an hour. It takes quite a while before there is enough water for the auto bilge to come on.

9. Member
    Block off that livewell..good idea. That will tell the story
    2019 Ranger rt188
    Merc 115 Pro xs ct
    Minn Kota Edge 70
    Tempest 21p

10. Member
    I know on my Triton tin (Ranger twin) that the drain plug had to make a "click" to ensure it was tight enough, took me awhile to figure that out, no more water in the bilge, just a suggestion....

Quote Originally Posted by ncbass View Post
    I know on my Triton tin (Ranger twin) that the drain plug had to make a "click" to ensure it was tight enough, took me awhile to figure that out, no more water in the bilge, just a suggestion....
    I've cranked on my drain plug so hard it may never open again. And I can easily see the plug in the bilge area when I lower the boat into the lake and I don't see any water coming in. Thanks for the suggestion though.

12. Member
    I had a livewell pump that cracked around the perimeter on the bottom of the pump. It would seal tight and not leak until I ran the pump, then after awhile the bilge pump would kick on. I couldn't figure out where the water was coming from because when the livewell pump was off the crack would seal so tight that you could not see a crack or anything wrong. I ended up pulling the livewell pump and found the bottom cracked out 3/4 the way around the base. It acted like a flap that would leak at times then close up and work like nothing was wrong which drove me nuts looking for the leak. I think it was from freezing over the winter. Replaced the pump and mo more issues.

Bill... I don't know if Joey is still there or not.

Tcesni.... If you do decide for sure to pull it, let know on a PM... I don't want to bug them unless I have to, but I might can find out for sure. Even if it does come out through the access door, that will be one bear of a job which I do not envy you doing. I am not sure but I bet it is engineered to come out through the access door.

I could be wrong about this because it was years ago when I toured the aluminum plant. But it seems like the rear deck was installed when they filled it with foam in the foam booth. I do not think the tank was installed yet. So they had to get it in afterwards. IF I remember correctly.

Also, my plug has to be tight. It does not click. I put some silicone grease on it sometimes to help get it in and out.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

I agree that there has to be a way to remove the tank through the rear access door, to design it otherwise would be incredibly stupid. I hope I find another way because I'm not as flexible as I used to be! I recently spent a few hours running some 10 gauge wire from the bilge area to the front through the keel for my Mega 360 and I felt the effects for days. The wiring really did make a difference though, I was dubious about it but was quickly convinced that it was worth the effort.

15. Member
    The RT188 is my third Ranger. My 80's Ranger leaked at a through hull fitting. That fitting had a very small crack and it took me a while to find it. The next one was a mid 90's model and that one leaked at the seam at the top of the livewell. Water would slosh around and the top cap had separated from the livewell enough to let water through. My 2017 has been darn near perfect.

Leaks can be a bear to naildown, hope you can find yours.

I am sure the tank will come out through the bilge opening because when Ranger replaced my hull, they used my old gas tank. They said the Ranger plant would make the replacement hull and send it to the repair shop to be finished out.
    As far as I could tell, they used just about everything from the old boat, including the dash panel and compartment lids.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

17. Member
    I had a 2013 rt188 that would leak water in though the drain even though i greased the threads. I had a bunch of alum. shavings come out of the drain with the water on opening . I took the O ring off to find a alum. shaving under the O ring . No more leaks after removal of shaving!

18. Member
    The only way I can see the tank coming out the rear hatch is to turn it 90°. That has to be fun.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    The only way I can see the tank coming out the rear hatch is to turn it 90°. That has to be fun.

Probably while standing on your head when doing so. The issue I see it how to remove the two metal straps that hold the tank in place. The screws are accessible on the bilge side but not on the livewell side. BTW, I bought my RT188 from Robbins Marine. Is that where yours came from?

20. Member
    my 2016 had leak installed new drain plug male and female assembly used good below water sealant fixed the leak worth a try if you need to remove tank i would drain and cut out with saw and re install smaller tank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast