99 Ficht does "quick start" when shifted into neutral

Just started having this issue on my 99 200hp ficht. When I go from forward or reverse into neutral, the motor does the quick start check as it does when you turn the key on. I'm thinking maybe the neutral safety switch is bad or maybe out of adjustment? It started doing this after I had been running with several other boats and one shut down earlier than I expected, so I put boat in neutral (to come off pad) and realized it was gonna be too close for comfort between me and another boat. Once I questioned it, I went from forward to neutral (maybe 2 seconds) and immediately into reverse, to try and help slow the boat down. Could this have throw something out of adjustment? Everything runs fine, besides the quick start check once put I to neutral.

Thanks

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The neutral safety switch is on locating pins so there is no adjustment. So are you saying the 4 LEDs on the Tach cycle every time you shift? Is it still shifting normally? Hopefully you didn't hurt the shift fork in the lower. Inspect the shift linkage and shift cable at the trunion cradle.

If the gauge goes into self-test at any time after starting the motor, then there is a voltage loss at the gauge - usually 9.5V or less or an intermittent open circuit in the purple wire harness or a grounding problem.

You may have to open up & inspect your control box to find the intermittent problem since it occurs during shifting.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

4. Member
    Yes, the leds cycle when going into neutral, but no issues shifting it. If I go from R to N to F quickly, it does not do the quick start cycle. Only when I go into N and leave it.

Outboards will kill the ignition when shifting for a split second. Yours may be hanging a bit too long and setting off the stop start cycle
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    Outboards will kill the ignition when shifting for a split second. Yours may be hanging a bit too long and setting off the stop start cycle

Evinrude/Johnson products only kill spark to 3 cylinders not the entire ignition system and only on the V-6 motors via the shift interrupt switch.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bdub_02 View Post
    Yes, the leds cycle when going into neutral, but no issues shifting it. If I go from R to N to F quickly, it does not do the quick start cycle. Only when I go into N and leave it.

Disconnect the shift interrupt switch for testing and see if the LED's cycle when shifting that will eliminate the switch.

8. Member
    Is that piece located inside the control box or somewhere at the motor?

-----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

I disconnect shift interrupt switch completely because it always died warm.