Small Lakes Question

Every summer I pull out my kayak and fish from it in smaller bodies of water. This year I'm thinking of branching out and going further away from the house. To that end, I'm looking at three locations in the Raleigh area, Lake Wheeler, Lake Crabtree, and Buckhorn Lake. Any suggestions on which one would be better? Right now I'm leaning towards either Wheeler or Crabtree. Appreciate any insight.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

2. Member
    Back in the 70's .When I was a younger. And Falls wasn't built then. Use to fish it a lot with a small wooden boat. Love to see the boat race's on the lake also.
    Lake Benson ,them use to rent small paddle boats for the day..
    Never fished Crabtree, as it was built then. Seen a few people fishing the bank. And fly fisherman at the back rd with wander fishing the bull reeds and Lilly pads.
    Don't keep the fish,as I seen on the news there was a high count of something in the water. That was a while back. Falls lake have high counts also.

3. Member
    I forgot about Buckhorn. Heard there some good fish in it. And it shallow.
    Hit up Ted ,he gave you insights on the lake.

4. Member
    Wheeler is good I am not a fan of Crabtree…sort of a big mudpit. Lots of Crappie but you can’t eat them. Very shallow lake. Also Lake Johnson is good.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos18xl View Post
    Wheeler is good I am not a fan of Crabtree…sort of a big mudpit. Lots of Crappie but you can’t eat them. Very shallow lake. Also Lake Johnson is good.
    I would agree with what he said. There is usually a number of kayaks on Wheeler on a Saturday
    1998 Triton TR20
    1998 Mercury 200EFI

Thanks. Appreciate the help. It'll probably be in late May or early June before I get out there.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    Every summer I pull out my kayak and fish from it in smaller bodies of water. This year I'm thinking of branching out and going further away from the house. To that end, I'm looking at three locations in the Raleigh area, Lake Wheeler, Lake Crabtree, and Buckhorn Lake. Any suggestions on which one would be better? Right now I'm leaning towards either Wheeler or Crabtree. Appreciate any insight.
    You would catch a lot more on the Cape Fear or the Neuse rivers in the summer. I've caught them at Wheeler in early Spring ( I' wouldn't bother in the summer ) and I bet Buckhorn would be good at night for topwater but that's only a guess as I never fished it. Crabtree is good for carp and smaller cats.

We have time share in New Bern and I've done a lot in and around that area between the Nuese and all the smaller ponds and waterways. Great summer fishing out there.
    2016 Nitro Z21