Thread: Mercury optimax

Mercury optimax

Hello all. Yesterday my wife and I were out fishing. Motor ran fine with no issues. When we started to leave I was idling along and I got a continuous beep. The alarm did not shut off until I turned the motor off. I used the trolling motor to get back to the dock. I started the motor and in probably less than a minute or two I got the alarm again. Luckily I already had it on the trailer. I was trying to run out what gas I could to put some fresh in it. My question is would being low on gas trigger an alarm? Thanks for any help.
    Michael
    2006 Mercury Optimax 150 DFI
    ser#- 1B273623
    Prop- Trophy Plus 19 pitch
    Water pressure- 2 to 12/14
    RPM WOT- 5750
    No engine mods and no instruments.
    I am considering installing smartcraft system. Is it worth it?
    Last edited by mperry; 05-05-2022 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Needed more information.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Low fuel level will not cause this.

A "SOLID TONE" warning is a CRITICAL ALARM, indicating that a condition exists that requires you shut the engine down as soon as is safely possible, and get it in to a dealer for service. The engine should not be started again or run until the problem has been diagnosed and corrected (these types of problems carry the strong possibility of severe engine damage).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    My apologies
    I have added the information.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mperry View Post
    I highly recommend getting a Smartcraft system, follow the link below for best service and a BBC discount!

If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Hello all. Yesterday my wife and I were out fishing. Motor ran fine with no issues. When we started to leave I was idling along and I got a continuous beep. The alarm did not shut off until I turned the motor off. I used the trolling motor to get back to the dock. I started the motor and in probably less than a minute or two I got the alarm again. Luckily I already had it on the trailer. I was trying to run out what gas I could to put some fresh in it. My question is would being low on gas trigger an alarm? Thanks for any help.
    Michael
    ser#- 1B273623
    RPM WOT- 5750
    YES!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Michael
    ser#- 1B273623
    RPM WOT- 5750

I have one more question about my issue. I opened the onboard oil tank but not the fill. Could I have gotten air in the system and would that cause a continuous alarm?

7. Member
    very unlikely , is beep intermittent beep beep beep or solid beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeep
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    No it’s a continuous alarm.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    I highly recommend getting a Smartcraft system, follow the link below for best service and a BBC discount!

If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories
    Thank you. I can’t seem to find the part number for the Smartcraft gauge system. If you don’t mind could you point me in the right direction? Thanks again for the help.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Read the information in the link- and send an EMAIL (per the info in the link) to Rhonda. She will provide you with a list of the various options and special BBC member pricing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Thank you.